Formula at bedtime

(6 Posts)
marshmallow2468 Thu 23-May-13 07:13:41

Whenever I express I don't get much out. And on the days I do it, he sleeps badly at night. Coincidence? I'm not sure. And I have been told (by a nurse at the gp) that formula might help him to gain weight. He's close to the bottom end of the scale and having trouble maintaining even weight gain.

MorningHasBroken Thu 23-May-13 07:02:02

I did this for about 4 months and it worked fine, no problems at all for us.

lilystem Thu 23-May-13 06:43:09

Could you express and give that's instead?

marshmallow2468 Thu 23-May-13 06:39:14

I'm not too bothered about an eventual drop in supply as I've never intended to breastfeed beyond six months and was considering gradually swapping to formula at just before six months. It's only a few weeks before then so not much difference. But I don't want to have too many difficulties and almost be forced into fully formula feeding due to necessity rather than choice. If that makes sense!

Meringue33 Thu 23-May-13 04:48:39

Hi there
We did this from ten weeks and at first the extra sleep was great, no knock on effect on supply
However now at 4.5 months my period has come back, I have a terrible flu and supply has dipped. So mixed feelings!

marshmallow2468 Thu 23-May-13 03:19:14

DS (nearly 4 months) is dropping centiles on the weight chart, and also recently has become a terrible night sleeper. He's fully breastfed but I'm thinking of replacing his last feed of the day with formula. Will this negatively affect my body's ability to breastfeed him during the day? I'm not wanting to give up completely yet, but would like him to gain a bit more weight, and DH being able to do the evening feed would be amazing!

Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now