Bfed 6 week old. How often to feed through night

(15 Posts)
Tweet2tweet Wed 22-May-13 19:45:16

Just wanted to see whether anyone knows how often a bred 6 wk old should feed at night. Currently my dc is waking every 2hrs and wondered whether that is normal or if they are doing this because they have a habit. Anyone now

Swanlike Wed 22-May-13 19:50:59

That's normal - tiny babies have small stomachs so need to feed frequently. They have to hit 12 pounds before they'll sleep longer.

Normal normal normal, and they might be any weight when they grow out of it. Unfortunately there isn't a magic cut off.

TwitchyTail Wed 22-May-13 21:05:27

Still normal for me at 12 weeks. Interesting about being able to sleep longer after 12 pounds Swanlike - DS is almost 13 pounds, hopefully he'll get that particular memo soon grin

LostAndNeverFound Thu 23-May-13 03:42:46

I've got a 6 week old who has just started stretching at night, waking only two or three times but only because he sleeps on his front .Day times are awful for feeding and sleeping and doesn't really settle at all. He's breastfed as well and I've started expressing once a day so I can see what he's actually taking in the day.

Interesting about the 12 pound mark, never heard that before either, I'll look forward to that! He's nearly 10 pound and putting on over an ounce a day so not long to go!

plannedshock Thu 23-May-13 06:02:12

My little girl is 7wks tomorrow and is every 2hrs, every once in a while shes 1 1/2 hrs I guess it all sounds pretty normal. I look 150yrs old.

Midori1999 Thu 23-May-13 07:52:25

It is normal, but there's also often a growth spurt at around 6 weeks, so it may settle down a bit soon.

PurplePidjin Thu 23-May-13 08:03:28

Completely normal, their tummies are the size of their fists and the milk is more efficient than rocket fuel.

Babies sleep through when they're ready, and not consistently. My previous good sleeper has just been through a patch of feeding 2 hourly round the clock and he's 6 months and weaning!

You are doing your best for your tiny defenceless baby <repeat ad nauseum on long night feeds>

On the plus side i ca now get him fed and back in his cot in 13 minutes wink

leedy Thu 23-May-13 09:11:20

"My previous good sleeper has just been through a patch of feeding 2 hourly round the clock and he's 6 months and weaning!"

Do you have my baby? smile

MrsMagpieCovetsShinyThings Thu 23-May-13 09:18:41

I was told babies sleep through at 9lb! grin

My 8 week old has been managing roughly 6 hour sleeps from about half 10 to half 4ish, for the past 3 weeks or so, but she is a bugger for sleeping in the day! (Think she is trying to let me make up the over 60 hours of sleep I lost after giving birth to her)

I'm expecting my good luck to run out any time soon though.

ChasingStaplers Thu 23-May-13 09:26:38

Normal!
Unfortunately, feeding them as often as they like is pretty much how often they should be fed.
I say this as someone who has had a 'wake up and feed for 30 minutes every hour' baby;
a 'sometimes I'll sleep through, sometimes I won't' baby
and finally an 'if you try and feed me in the night and wake me up I'll get mad and won't go back to sleep' baby grin
The poster who said it could be a growth spurt at this age could be right though so fingers crossed it'll get easier soon!

OrangeFootedScrubfowl Thu 23-May-13 09:27:41

Normal!

Tweet2tweet Thu 23-May-13 10:37:51

Thanks all. Se seems to have had a growth spurt for the last 5 days! Feels a bit more intense as caught cold and all bunged up so the nights are very, very tough. She also won't sleep during the day unless on me. However I currently have her in cot with a white noise machine and she has been asleep for....10mins. However I know I can't get her attached to the white noise either. Oh dear, it's not easy in the early days is it....

PurplePidjin Thu 23-May-13 12:54:16

Tweet, if she still needs white noise at 5, so fecking what? I like to sleep with the radio on and I'm thirtymumblemumble!

lazzaroo Thu 23-May-13 15:38:02

Someone needs to tell my 5 month old DD that she can sleep longer than 2/3 hours at night now that she weighs 15lb! wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now