What am I doing wrong...again?!

(15 Posts)
CityDweller Wed 22-May-13 21:29:03

I would echo the advice to get help asap. It only took about 36 hrs for my nipples to get shredded at the beginning due to bad latch. We got great support after that and latch improved (as much as it ever would as she was later diagnosed with 'thick and tight' anterior and posterior tongue tie).

Call the community midwife office at the hospital where you gave birth and beg them to send someone out (ideally a bf counsellor or peer supporter) tomorrow. They're usually very attentive to brand new mums/ babies (I think we had three people out in the first three or four days!)

Meanwhile, this page on Kellymom has a good animation of how to get a good latch. kellymom.com/ages/newborn/bf-basics/latch-resources/

Good luck!

fijamez Wed 22-May-13 20:39:50

If you can find a la leche group they have advisors who are great at observing feeding , latch etc and giving advice. Made me feel lots better and gave ideas about different hold to improve latch

McBaby Wed 22-May-13 20:06:17

Get checked for tongue tie. They do not check routinely but sometimes spot in hospital if its very obvious.

Ask the midwives for details of breast feeding drop ins. There was one on our hospital once a week (as well as a number if other places) so you could be lucky with days.

Smartiepants79 Wed 22-May-13 20:01:50

Pain is completely normal in my experience (my 2 and various friends)
It took about 2 weeks with my DD2 for it to settle down. I had a few wobbles and came very close to giving up cos it just bloody hurt! It was worth the effort though.
Get your latch checked, have a go with different feeding positions and check for tongue tie.
Sadly it's probably just a case of pushing through it and gritting your teeth until your nipples harden up. Lots of Lansinoh.
She may have a mega suck like mine. It does make for a very fast feeder at 5 months!
We also used 1 bottle feed a day to give my boobs a rest. That's a little controversial I know but it worked for us.

AndMiffyWentToSleep Wed 22-May-13 19:48:19

You need to do the little finger thing to de-latch her.
I think it should hurt to some extent but not blister. Also let your boobs get air - don't pop them back into bra/clothes straight after a feed. And lansinoh nipple cream - before and after every feed.
But the latch is the key thing.

NoTeaForMe Wed 22-May-13 19:39:07

I don't think she's getting enough of a big mouthful, her mouth is just so tiny though! I'll start taking her off and re-latching her, she's like her sister in that if I try and break the seal to take her off she just clamps down a bit!

CelticPromise Wed 22-May-13 19:36:16

Congratulations!

The best way to tell how the latch is is to go to a bf group and get someone to check it. I'm a peer supporter and I've just come back from a latch checking visit smile Is there any support available in your area?

There is info out there on what to look for, kellymom.com is a good place to start. Basics- she must take a big mouthful of breast and not just suck on the nipple. It can be normal to be a bit tender, but you don't have to put up with blisters!

bigkidsdidit Wed 22-May-13 19:33:25

I think it hurt me for about 3 weeks, from what I remember.

Congratulations!

beachesandbuckets Wed 22-May-13 19:32:56

Yes, sounds like she isn't latching on right. Get your midwife/health visitor around ASAP for some support and help or if they are not forthcoming then go back to the labour ward. Don't be afriad to shout out for help. I stayed in hospital with my first (mainly because we lived in a horrid rental at the time) and had about 10 different midwives helping me out with different holds/positions so I found feeding quite easy. Good luck! X

NoTeaForMe Wed 22-May-13 19:30:45

Even this early should it not hurt then? Is that the only way to tell the latch is right?

Thanks

AndMiffyWentToSleep Wed 22-May-13 19:26:13

And congratulations!

AndMiffyWentToSleep Wed 22-May-13 19:24:54

I got blisters early on - you need to make sure she's latching on right and if she's not, take her off and try again.

NoTeaForMe Wed 22-May-13 19:22:30

No-unless they did it as routine and all was fine so didn't mention it?! She's only a day old, do they normally do that check?

ghosteditor Wed 22-May-13 19:19:10

Congratulations! And good luck. Has she been checked for tongue and lip tie by an expert?

NoTeaForMe Wed 22-May-13 19:17:49

I had my 2nd baby on Tuesday morning. She is a hungry little thing and happily suckles away, seems to be feeding well. However, my nipples are sore-getting really sore now, and one of them has the beginnings of a blister already. Is this just kind of to be expected when you start out? I had so many troubles with feeding my first that I'm not really sure what the 'norm' is, but I really want it to work better and easier this time!

Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now