Painful feeding at 9mo

(5 Posts)
WeAreSix Wed 22-May-13 15:04:28

DD has been ebf, she's now 9.5mo.

I had a milk blister within the last week, which has now totally resolved. Once I'd popped the blister milk freely flowed.

However, I still have a very sore boob. When DD first latches on its like the first few days of feeding a newborn - toe curling pain. Her latch looks fine though.

This settles to a low level tingly / burning pain. No redness, lumps, hotspots. No signs of thrush on her or me.

Is it just settling still after the blister? This may end me breastfeeding DD a lot sooner than I'd planned.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

WeAreSix Wed 22-May-13 21:46:42

So now I've got a temp of 38.6 and feel fluey. I really don't want mastitis sad

sleepyhead Wed 22-May-13 21:57:54

Oh dear sad. I recently had mastitis with no apparent lump (at the time when I got the fever anyway, a good quarter of my boob was solid by that evening).

I did manage to avoid antibiotics by the ibuprofen/heat/frequent feeding/expressing etc method. Maybe try these even if you can't feel a lump? Also see the doctor if you're getting flu symptoms - I got a prescription when the feverish symptoms started but didn't fill it as it resolved.

I think my mastitis (second bout in a month) was caused by bacteria getting in through a sore spot on the nipple so it's possible that the burst milk blister maybe caused similar? Or that there's a blockage deep in the breast that you can't easily feel?

WeAreSix Thu 23-May-13 19:20:24

Turns out its 'just' tonsillitis and boobs are ok. The blister is trying to reappear though hmm

HaveTeaWillSurvive Thu 23-May-13 20:59:59

I'm going through same thing - strangely only one boob though - had a couple of blebs and a blood blister, ouchy sad

DS nearly 10 months and its been going on for about 6 weeks - I think his latch might have changed a bit as he's got teeth coming in left right and centre.

I've been powering through as hoping to make in to a year breastfeeding but seriously considering giving up for the sake of my poor nipple!

Sorry not got any great news for you - Hope you feel better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now