using breast shells to collect milk

(4 Posts)
bigkidsdidit Tue 21-May-13 15:42:03

hi,

I am 37 weeks pg with #2 and thinking about feeding. I bf DS for 6 months but DH gave one bottle of formula every evening so I could get more sleep. I was happy with this. However, I also had a massive milk supply and leaked all over the place. In particular, when I was feeding off the first breast I'd leak enough from the other to get through 3 sopping breast pads.

I just read about breast shells and they seem great. My thoughts are I could use them to collect my leaking and use that milk in a bottle once a day. But I am confused about sterility. Can I collect milk throughout the day and tip it into the same bottle? This is not sterile, surely? Do I clean them / sterilise the shells after each time?

any tips gratefully received smile

MyDaydream Tue 21-May-13 16:34:39

I used these how you say, although I expressed so tipped the milk into the bottle I was using. I used one per feed and then it got sterilised. I also would mix my milk, so if I pumped more than I needed it'd go towards the next feed. I did this as long as the milk was from the same day, when I got up the next morning I wouldn't mix it with milk from the day before. I found them so helpful as I was wasting so much milk.

bigkidsdidit Tue 21-May-13 17:29:35

thanks smile

so you just tipped each feed's worth into the same bottle?

I think I am confused by ff, and the need for sterilising!

MyDaydream Tue 21-May-13 22:11:46

Yeah, I made my expressed bottles up to a certain amount, I was expressing so usually ended up with slightly more milk than I'd need for a feed so just used the remaining for a feed. If you google "mixing breast milk" there are a few bits of information about how to do it safely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now