Have I got mastitis?

(11 Posts)
berri Tue 21-May-13 20:24:34

Thanks so much thanks

TV for DS this afternoon then....!

melonribena Tue 21-May-13 20:04:13

Great advice from Harriet! Hope you get sorted

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 21-May-13 19:34:01

I would do the following - assuming slightly blocked duct or threatened mastitis:

- hot compresses on sore breast or hot bath to relieve symptoms.
- gently massage affected area
- feed frequently to clear any blockage - every 2 hours would be ideal even at night.
- get as much rest as you can - rest is key to overcoming mastitis. If you can just go to bed with your baby do
- keep an eye for a blob developing and if it does this is a bleb and kellymom has good info on how to treat
- look out for knotty area on breast and if one appears this is likely a blocked duct and kellymom has good info on how to treat
- keep an eye on your temp
- you can take ipubrofen to reduce swelling/pain
- if more than 24 hours go to GP to assess whether you need antibiotics

flanbase Tue 21-May-13 18:55:55

bf as much as possible to see if the blockage will clear. If you get a temperature get some antibiotics. Take a probiotic suppliement to keep the intestinal flora as normal as possible as antibiotics changes this environment. Keep a check on thrush starting if you notice itching or redness (antibiotics can cause this)

melonribena Tue 21-May-13 18:32:30

I had a blocked duct once,was similar in that I had a lump but although sore I didn't get the horrendous pain like I did with mastitis.

I cured that myself with hot compresses and carefully massaging the area whilst ds fed.

berri Tue 21-May-13 18:23:22

No to all of those wouldbe, it's just tender and a bit throbby. It's no worse than earlier, but definitely no better.

Gosh phyllis that sounds horrendous....but I don't have any of the typical symptoms, just a sore boob - is there anything else it could be??

PhyllisDoris Tue 21-May-13 17:51:29

Get to a gp for anti biotics ASAP. I ended up in hospital when DD1 was 8 weeks old. Was seen as emergency after visiting GP while away for the weekend as pain had got do bad. I'd developed an abscess that had to be drained under GA.

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 21-May-13 17:46:20

Does it feel like a knotty area?

Do you have a temperature?

Do you have a very small white blob on your nipple?

berri Tue 21-May-13 17:45:15

I wouldn't say it feels hot...can't really make it to the GP in the next few days, hence hoping to get rid of it myself if I've caught it early - dont know if it works like that though!

melonribena Tue 21-May-13 13:35:30

I'm no expert but when I got mastitis, I got a red hot lump in my breast. It was very sore and I massaged it a lot to get rid of it and also had a course of antibiotics.

If I were you I would see the gp to get it checked out

berri Tue 21-May-13 13:18:21

My right breast has been painful for the last day, and this morning felt quite throbby. It feels tender although I can't quite put my finger on exactly where it hurts.

DD is 4 weeks old. Does it sound like the start of mastitis? If so is there anything I can do to ward it off before it gets bad?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now