How to stay awake during night feeds part 10!

(626 Posts)
abi2790 Mon 20-May-13 07:12:20

Brand new thread grin

SoYo Mon 17-Jun-13 15:40:34

Hi MrsN glad to have you back.

I'm so jealous of you both that co-sleeping is working for you. I like it & was really hopeful it would make sleeping better but madam just seems to only settle in bed with me if she's grazing on the boob & cat naps in between but never more than an hour between feeds, plus she spends a lot of time punching and kicking me!

Larle I'm glad the christening was a lovely day, I really need to organise ours at some point but I think my DM is going to have the same problems with the guest list for that as she did with our wedding!

I really need to stop going to the supermarket when I'm hungry. Today I'm mostly grazing on jam doughnuts, choccy biscuits (3 different types) and giant white choc buttons and also frowning at my flabby apron belly. Dieting is too hard when you're sleep deprived!

lazzaroo Mon 17-Jun-13 19:17:25

I'm with you soyo, would co-sleep if that would work but DD only happy if actually on me! And even then is unsettled. I have no solutions but am really struggling with the relentlessness of it....and the annoying questions about 'how's she sleeping'. Why do other people care so much?! She's not keeping them awake!!

Booked christening and working on guest list! Hoping she'll fit into the family gown!!

Hope everyone has a good night.

abi2790 Mon 17-Jun-13 19:39:08

Hii MrsN!! Glad you're both getting much more sleep now and congrats on becoming ww leader and bf supporter. I would love to do some bf support in my local area as the majority of mums formula feed but I wouldn't have a clue where to start!
Tried to get Ds into gp's this morning but couldn't get an appointment. I rang dead on 8 and by time someone answered the phone they had no appointments left!

SoYo Tue 18-Jun-13 01:33:25

It's getting really quiet around here lately,just as little lady's sleep is getting worse again. We're back to every 2hrs & it's the knowledge that she has the ability to go 7hrs & used to regularly go 5 that's driving me a little mad.

larlemucker Tue 18-Jun-13 07:03:56

Baby larle still feeds every 3 hours but as we are co-sleeping I can't post

abi2790 Tue 18-Jun-13 14:15:21

I know that feeling soyo. Ds has slept through the night on a number of occasions so I know he can do it. Why can't he do it every night?!

I got his lump checked out and it is just a cyst. Apparently they are quite common and come from infections such as colds. I also got him weighed today and he's put on almost a pound in the past month! I was thinking that weaning wasn't going great and his breastfeeds have been decreasing so I didn't think he would have put on much weight. He's 18 pounds 9 now grin.

SoYo Tue 18-Jun-13 22:41:56

Evening all - including all you co-sleepers that can't type overnight now.

<hands out Jaffa Cakes and iced tea - too hot for the normal stuff>

Anypants Tue 18-Jun-13 22:46:56

Evening <takes a jaffa cake, then a sneaky extra one for later>
She's still out for the count after a mammoth 2 hour shhhhh-athon. Fingers crossed for an easy as have that 'i'm getting a cold' feeling. As a bonus, DH also has been planting the 'think i've got a bug' seed but if he ends up not going to work and expects to be able to stay in bed all day.....jog on envy
Sleepy dust to all <takes a swig of calpol>

grainmum Wed 19-Jun-13 04:30:41

Hello! I might join you as it looks like this might be my routine for a while!

Baby grain was born on 13th June. Breast feeding is going well as he had only lost 3% of birthweight on day 4. The current issue is that he really struggling to go down into his Moses basket resulting in one of us holding him for much of the time.

Right now he has just been down for about an hour - major victory!

SoYo Wed 19-Jun-13 05:17:52

Hi Grain <waves & offers Jaffa Cakes>

Congratulations on the new bubba! Mine was a pickle to put own at first too. In the Moses the only way we could do it at first was in a swaddle pod having put a rolled up towel either side of her to really wedge her in & keep her cosy.

Madam here has settled firmly back into a routine of every 2-3hrs. She seems content with this, Mummy is less than thrilled with this backwards progress!

Anypants Wed 19-Jun-13 05:25:07

Welcome grain - you've come to the right place!

I think i'm slowly going insane. Up at 2.40 for a feed for 1 hour and now again. It's not even three hours. I am inclined to blame the heat and humidity (i'm sweating like never before). Oh good - it just started lashing it down so the thunder and lightning will be here soon. Yay.
And I nearly threw my phone at the wall as there is a provlem with the Mumsnet app and I can't log on :-o

Not a good night. Harrrumph. It's nights like this when i wish i still smoked...

lazzaroo Wed 19-Jun-13 07:20:39

Hi grain, congratulations! Hope our ramblings don't leave you disheartened!! You might have a sleeper!! Only time will tell smile

Well, early part f the night getting a bit better as she's going down and not needing to be re-settled till first feed, which s now about 11ish. But from 2nd feed, usually 2ish it's still a nightmare. Today she was awake at 4.30am! Couldn't feed or rock her back to sleep. In fact she's just gone back to sleep. Settling her was a bit of a battle as she's probably over-tired. So if she does her usual 40mins she'll wake up grumpy!!

And DH just left for the next 2days. At least the sun is back!

abi2790 Wed 19-Jun-13 07:31:18

Welcome Grain. Congrats on your new arrival! I remember those early days well. It took us til around 2am to get ds to go into his basket then he would wake hourly! But those days end eventually. It's normal for a newborn smile.

Ds slept all the way through! I put him down around 7:30pm, he stirred a bit around 10, but he didn't wake until 7am!

SoYo Wed 19-Jun-13 08:52:51

Congratulations Abi that's amazing!

Lazza and Any I put madam back down at 5.30, got her put again at 6 and brought her into bed. Did some cosleeping where I slept out of total exhaustion and she chewed my nipples to bits so I woke up at 7.30 with very sorry nipples and a pesky baby punching my boobs!

larlemucker Wed 19-Jun-13 12:36:33

Welcome grain and congratulations on your LO! Baby larle is nearly 25 weeks and still prefers to sleep on me!!! However last night I put him in a pillow fort in our bed and he stayed asleep for an hour while we enjoyed some tv!!

Well done abi

It's ww weigh in tonight, I've eaten so much cake and quiche the last 2 days I recon I've put about 5lb on!!!

abi2790 Wed 19-Jun-13 22:16:32

Finally bedtime for us! Ds went in his cot around 7:30 again so fingers crossed for a repeat of last night. I have a horrible migraine due to hay fever sad.

grainmum Thu 20-Jun-13 01:56:30

good evening all. we decided to leave baby grain downstairs with his dad for the first couple of hours so I got some sleep until 1. Fed now just holding upright then we'll attempt a move to the basket...

grainmum Thu 20-Jun-13 01:58:24

oh and I have a question - co-sleeping, don't they just feed from the same breast all night?

lazzaroo Thu 20-Jun-13 05:27:46

well, I totally expected a rubbish night last night because f the weather but got best night we've had in a long time! Went down at 7.30 and slept till midnight. Fed & straight back down till 3. Okay, so we're up super early again but guess we can't have it all smile

grain we used to do that and she used to sleep much better on DH. You're right to get as much sleep as you can. I haven't succeeded in making co-sleeping work but when we do I still try & remember to switch sides. To be honest, I'm so tired in the night I get in a bit of a muddle about it but supply established now so I don't think it matters too much!

lazzaroo Thu 20-Jun-13 05:29:48

Should have said....fed again at 3 and straight back in cot again. Think she woke about 4.45 but I left her in cot chattering to herself till about 5.10.

SoYo Thu 20-Jun-13 05:46:05

Morning

Lazza we've had best night for a while too. Down at 9.45 & a bit of moaning at 1 but no waking, wake at 3 & then 5mins ago & ill bring her into bed now to try & get another hour or so.

lazzaroo Thu 20-Jun-13 07:07:59

Yay soyo. Mine wasn't interested in going back to sleep in bed with me. I tried!! So we got up & she's back to sleep now. Seems a bit mad to call it a nap at 6.45am!! But as she'd been awake 2 hours I guess that's what it is!! Dd1 up now so the day as definitely begun!

Hope last night wasn't a one off. Can't think that I did anything differently!

Have a good day all. Hope it's another sunny one smile

abi2790 Thu 20-Jun-13 22:38:36

Hi all. Ds slept through again last night from 7:30 until 4:30 then back to sleep at 5:30 until 8 so another great night for us. It's been long overdue! I've only been waiting 28 weeks! I'm hoping for another good night tonight but it took a while longer to get to sleep tonight. He did have a nap quite late in the day though so that's probably why I didn't get him in his cot until 8:30.

This heat is horrible! I wouldn't mind if it was sunny but it's been cloudly and really humid. Poor ds is so sweaty all the time. He's just in a vest tonight and I've got the window open but not sure whether to shut the window before I go to sleep. It gets way too hot if I shut it though.

Hope everyone gets some sleep brew.

grainmum Thu 20-Jun-13 23:54:32

DS seems to be getting the hang of things a little. I fed him at 8 then came to bed, and DH tells me he mostly slept til 11. just fed him again and about to try transferring to Moses basket, fingers crossed!

abi2790 Fri 21-Jun-13 06:48:01

Ds will soon start sleeping better in his basket Grain brew. Just keep feeding on demand without clock watchhing and you'll get through it.

Ds slept through again smile. He's now wide awake though whereas I have very stingy eyes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now