Expressing for beginners?

(2 Posts)
mikkii Sun 19-May-13 15:59:19

What I used to do, was after a feed, express off the same side to be sure the boob was empty. Then I would use the second side to give how much I needed, but this usually didn't empty it.

Expressing at the same time each day seems to help in balancing supply. Because I hadn't emptied the second side, I would then start the next feed on that side.

wishfulthinking1 Sun 19-May-13 15:05:29

After lots of anxiety about expressing I gave it another go on Friday afternoon- and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Baby took the bottle yesterday afternoon with no problems- DH enjoyed doing it and I had a blissful afternoon nap.

I'd like advice on expressing regularly so as not to mess up supply- I only intend to express one bottle a day. Lots of threads I've read suggest expressing in the morning. When? After I've fed DS? Ds generally only feeds on one side, if I feed him on the left do I express on the right? Will I make enough milk on the right for his next feed? Should I express on the left after a feed as well?
I just can't seem to get my head around the logistics of it!
Thanks in advance

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now