need help don't know where to post

(87 Posts)
aldeburgh Thu 09-May-13 09:47:31

Dd2 is 7.5 weeks old... Has reflux to the extent that she cannot lay on her back as she gags and chokes. Has been this way since about a week old probably earlier but we just assumed it was usual newborn mucous issues and needing a warm body.... Symptoms started to develop and she was diagnosed by gp after hv suggested reflux.... Anyway.... Here we are exhausted.... Dd2 not gaining and dropping centiles so i was advised that she needed at least a bottle of formula a day to get her back on track. Andnow they are suggesting 2 and perhaps i should stop altogether.
I am not enjoying bf but of course i am shattered so can't. I have dd1 to look after. Getting as much help as possible but still exhausted... I sometimes think everyone is right i should give up.... I am losing a scary amount of weight and everyone is saying my supply is not enough. I just don't know what to do. I feel guilty for even thinking about giving up but what if i am not supplying enough and she could thrive on formula. Help.

GraceGrape Mon 13-May-13 23:52:00

You must be so relieved to have that sorted. It took my DD2 two-three weeks to start feeding properly after her tongue tie was snipped. A couple of sessions with a cranial osteopath helped (I'm not sure why, but apparently it is recommended to do after a tongue-tie snip). Hope things improve for you now.

aldeburgh Tue 14-May-13 02:57:38

Did it help reflux symptoms do either of you think?! Dd fed immediately after the snip and was calm... But next 2 feeds have been very stressful. I was warned it might get worse before better. We are giving it our best shot.
It was quite funny watching dd play with her tongue as she had not really had much movement before.
I am now officially cross that I had asked umpteen people if she was tt and all said no.
The LC did a score and said anything under 11 (out of 14) would warrant the procedure... Dd scored 5. sad
Fingers crossed this improves milk transfer and weight gain.

Thanks again for the support ladies.

aldeburgh Tue 14-May-13 02:58:56

We already saw CO and so LC said not to worry.

BigPigLittlePig Tue 14-May-13 10:14:18

aldeburgh it didn't help reflux, but I think dd is CMPI, as she is very sensitive to dairy in my diet. It did help vastly with windiness though - she was gulping in less air, so was much more comfortable particularly overnight. I did find that her ability to cry loudly was much enhanced afterwards - so get your earplugs at the ready!

aldeburgh Tue 14-May-13 10:39:42

I think dd might be cmpi too... Going to ask Dr for special formula for the top ups . I have been dairy free for weeks now but the top up is cows milk.
Dd really dribbly after tie snip.

GraceGrape Tue 14-May-13 13:30:15

Didn't really help reflux for us either (DD2 is also cmpi!) It did make milk feeding much more effective though. She continued to gain very slowly for the first week after the snip but then made a big jump in weight gain.

Glad to hear you got this sorted. It took my DTS a few weeks to really catch on after his 80% TT was snipped. He tended to slip around on the nipple a lot. I found making sure my nipple and his mouth were both dry helped massively if we hd a frustrating latching session, he is v dribbles and all the wetness didn't help matters - also vary your position too, it might help as well partic if there is a lot of new sensation. I find the rugby ball hold but with the baby high up resting on a big fat pillow and falling down on to the nipple really helps as gravity keeps them in place.

I am still EBF my twins now at 14 weeks despite them both being TT so there is hope.

aldeburgh Wed 15-May-13 03:24:27

The dribble is immense grin and bless her she keeps gagging on it. I expect it will take a good couple of weeks to get good at breastfeeding.

Thanks for the input x

KatieLily12 Wed 15-May-13 09:48:00

So glad to hear and I totally understand your frustration at the number of people who didn't detect it.

X

aldeburgh Mon 20-May-13 03:22:38

thank you for all the advice and help.

Have things improved further? Hope all is going well!

aldeburgh Tue 21-May-13 04:29:04

after another week of almost no growth from dd and a serious conversation with the gp the sad decision was taken to call time on breastfeeding. i am feeling sad about it and wish we had known about the tongue tie sooner as i might have had it in me 4 week ago to save it. but after 8 weeks of upset and exhaustion i knew i didn't have another 2-4 weeks in the tank to rebuild my supply and for dd to work out how to do it.
If she was my first I probably would have had a chance but my dd1 is in need of a mum too.
i am clinging on to the early hours feed for some antibodies but my supply was/is so bad that i have hardly suffered cutting out feeds... when i stopped bf dd1 i was in agony after one missed feed. so that worries me just how little dd2 has been getting these past 8 weeks.
She has had bottles 4 days now and her bowel movements have become regular for the first time in her life...
hard decision but the right one for us as a family. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now