People moaning!!

(17 Posts)
LittleJack15 Wed 08-May-13 22:13:52

This probably me having a moan at people moaning at me.
I'm a first time mum with a little chap, 7weeks old 8 on Friday.
I'm breastfeeding and my little chap is still very demanding. He's not to bad at nights, but at best I only get five hours sleep and in the day he only either sleep on me or about 20mins in his Moses basket. So don't get any sleep in the day and I'm a bit tired at times. I take my little one out on the decking most days but we don't get out and about most days. We've only been out a few times.
Should I be getting out and about most days? And should he be in a routine at this age?
smilesmile

BettyStogs Wed 08-May-13 22:50:51

Go out if you want to, don't if you don't. I took DS out most days when he was very young, but more for my benefit than for his - I felt cooped up if I didn't.

I would say it's a bit early for a routine, you will probably fall into some sort of routine in a few weeks or months, but you don't need to enforce one if you're happy going with the flow

Congratualtions btw!

LittleJack15 Thu 09-May-13 05:17:28

Thank you.
smilesmile

TwentyTinyToes Thu 09-May-13 05:48:20

I would not worry about a routine yet, my dd is 17 weeks and we are only just beginning to fall into a routine.

Have you tried a sling, that way your baby can sleep on you and you can get on with stuff if you want to? Is he your first? Personally, if you don't have other children to see to, i would enjoy the cuddles, the time passes so quickly. Find something to watch on tv or grab a book and relax whist baby sleeps on your lap.

Also, they are quite portable at that age, easier than when they are bigger anyway, so go out if you want to.

I know the sleep deprivation is awful but honestly you will get used to it, or your baby might sleep! Can you try and catch up at the weekend?

TwentyTinyToes Thu 09-May-13 05:50:52

Drink plenty too, water that is. Breastfeeding makes you thirsty and keeping well hydrated will make you feel better.

5 hours sleep in a row? That's excellent! If not, then normal. Keep baby close to you at night and let him sleep on you in the day so you have to sit down and rest.

I would get out every day for your sanity eg a little walk with him in a sling. Perhaps time it early afternoon and it may turn into a nap for him. I found getting up at the same time each morning plus switching baby to "nighttime" for feeds after 6pm helped.

Ultimately do what feels right for you. Everyone will offer you opinions but they won't truly remember what it's like having a newborn so their perspectives are skewed.

HollyMadison Thu 09-May-13 06:28:17

Five hours sleep at night is about what I was getting then. Or maybe less. You don't have to get them into a routine - they will fall into one themselves. I found it did help to read a bit about routines just so I could recognise what he was wanting to do. You don't need to go out if u don't want to. I remember I used to aim to go out in the morn and suddenly it would be 4pm and I still hadn't made it out!

LittleJack15 Thu 09-May-13 07:19:44

No not together, broken up. I get a couple at one time then another couple. Which is good because he has got better at nights.
I live in a small holding so we have got out in the buggy.a few times.
smilesmile

defineme Thu 09-May-13 07:23:54

No need for routine, lovely to have trhe time/space to just be with baby and as long as you're not feeling desperate for company...that's what got me out of the house, that and the pram being one place where babies would sleep!

LittleJack15 Thu 09-May-13 07:25:43

Yea that's what happens to me. I think what I'm going to do that day and before I know it's the afternoon.
smilesmile

littlestressy Thu 09-May-13 07:40:57

If baby will only nap on you during the day why not take him to bed with you? Make sure your bed is safe, no big duvet etc give him a nice feed then snuggle up and snooze.
Wish I'd done this more with my little one, those sleepy milky cuddles are the best.

chocolatemartini Thu 09-May-13 09:26:58

I don't think routines are really for the baby's benefit until around 12/15 months. I'd advocate a 'go with what the baby wants' type approach, and modify if needed. Congratulations!

TwitchyTail Thu 09-May-13 12:14:40

I put myself under a lot of pressure in the early days to "get out of the house" because that's what everyone tells you to do. I also tried to get him in a routine as all the books tell you to. It wasn't good - I was stressed, DS was miserable, but I felt I "should" make daft pointless trips out, keep him awake to play after feeds to fit it with that wretched EASY routine when all he wanted to do was doze, wake him up from his epic 3-hour nap because the books said it was too long, etc.

I got much happier when I gave myself permission to potter around the house for days on end, watch bad TV and browse the internet while feeding DS when he felt like it, cuddling him when I felt like it, and letting him sleep when and where he wanted. We are still in this non-routine and feel quite liberated smile I go out when I feel like it and am getting increasingly confident at it, but there are still some days we stay in and just laze about.

Do what you want, not what other people tell you you should be doing. You'll know when you're ready to venture out more.

chocolatemartini Thu 09-May-13 14:22:20

twitchy that sounds just like our non routine wink. I just couldn't be bothered to try & make the baby do things when a boom said they should. Sounded like way too much work, and I hate clock watching anyway. Do what you like OP! Max out on the cuddles and sofa time if you can.

chocolatemartini Thu 09-May-13 14:22:41

Book obviously, not boom blush

LittleJack15 Thu 09-May-13 17:53:01

Thank you for the replies.
smilesmile

Tryharder Thu 09-May-13 19:44:37

I believe that in some parts of the Middle East, women are not expected to leave the compound for 40 days after giving birth. Which should put your situation into perspective.

All this up and dressed with full slap on shopping in Bluewater with a days old baby is crap and unrealistic.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now