Does anyone else's DC milk them like a cow when BF?

(11 Posts)
peanutMD Tue 30-Apr-13 20:03:30

I know it sounds odd but it really does seen like that's what she's trying to do hmm

Whilst feeding in cradle hold she kind of places a hand on the side and massages/squeezes the breast rhythmically.

It isn't causing pain or discomfort i just find it slightly bizarre grin

Yeh my DS does this, usually turns into punching me if the milk doesn't come fast enough.

I read somewhere that they asked a kid who could talk and was breastfeeding why he did it and they said "because it makes the milk come faster!"

LedaOfSparta Tue 30-Apr-13 20:41:25

Dd (7m) does this, she sort of palpates the breast.

I like to think of it as affectionate.

flipflopson5thavenue Tue 30-Apr-13 20:42:45

I think all mammals do it to some extent!

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 30-Apr-13 20:48:51

I love it blush reminds me of watching a litter of kittens kneading the mother cat with their paws!!

saintmerryweather Tue 30-Apr-13 21:00:40

Lambs headbutt the ewes udder to make the milk come

peanutMD Tue 30-Apr-13 21:15:43

So glad its not just us grin

Moresnowplease - wow that does make sense, tiny people really are clever!

Harriet its quite relaxing isn't it? i just thought it was weird but now i know its not I'll just leave her to it grin

TwitchyTail Tue 30-Apr-13 21:31:52

That sounds quite clever and coordinated. How old is your daughter? My DS just sort of flails his arms around, striking randomly.

Someone really ought to write a book on the Babily Art of Breastfeeding, like a how-to manual for neonates.

peanutMD Tue 30-Apr-13 21:58:42

She is 8 weeks, I've only really noticed this the last few days.

I like the idea of that book, would've made the first few days much easier if she actually knew what to do lol

Twattybollocks Wed 01-May-13 04:07:05

My 3mo does it. She holds on with both hands and strokes with her fingers. I know when she's nearly done because she lifts her index finger up and down as if to say "ill be done in a minute" and then does this cute little sigh and then lets go with the drunk face :0)

Thumbwitch Wed 01-May-13 04:13:07

I LOVE the drunk face! it's just gorgeous grin

DS1 used to do it, but DS2 (now 6.5mo) not so much. He likes to hold onto my thumb like a joystick instead. Although he's not averse to bashing my boobs with the flailing arm to make me aware he needs me to change position (we co-sleep) and sometimes he'll try and get to the other boob while feeding off one, but that's Not Allowed (he's already caused me enough pain!) - I can't bear it! He has a tendency to scritch at my boob with his nasty little baby nails that never seem to stop scritching, no matter how often I cut them sad, rather than palpating or stroking.

But then he doesn't really need the milk to come any faster - we've speculated that the reason he still causes me pain in my L boob (by clamping) is because the milk comes too fast, if anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now