Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

Changing to formula

(4 Posts)
iheartshoes Tue 30-Apr-13 16:03:59

My dd is 18 days old and I want to start the transition from breast milk to formula. What's the best way to go about this ? Should I just start with a couple of formula feeds at night and do it gradually or is it better to go cold turkey ?

showtunesgirl Tue 30-Apr-13 16:13:04

OP, is there any particular reason why you're switching to formula?

As far as I know, it's better to do it gradually, especially at this stage as you could run the risk of getting blocked ducts and getting mastitis.

whatsoever Tue 30-Apr-13 16:56:22

Hi OP, I'm starting this process today too (my DS is 6.5 months though). I've canvassed opinion & gradually seems to be the general consensus. I'm swapping a feed every 2 or 3 days. Hopefully... I've also been advised to watch out for constipation too.

roamingwest Tue 30-Apr-13 21:48:27

Oh I'm in the same boat - have just posted for advice on the 'Faff free fred'! I started yesterday (DD is 14 weeks - am switching very very gradually because of going back to work and general unavoidable upheaval in a couple of months) but my one formula feed today was a disaster! Any tips appreciated - we should keep this thread going for support as I know I for one am finding it all a bit emotional sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now