What lamp for night feeds?

(24 Posts)
philbee Tue 30-Apr-13 05:18:07

At the moment I have a laborious routine of propping the door open for hall light while sleeping and then closing it so the baby doesn't wake DD and putting on an old desk lamp while feeding. Laborious because i have to get out of bed around the cot, which is a pain. Is there something that I could have as a nightlight while sleeping so I can see the baby well enough to check her / insert dummy and then turn up a bit for feeding? Thanks.

beckslovestimmy Tue 30-Apr-13 07:36:32

I use the light on our angel care monitor, it's a blue light so not too intrusive. I think you can get a night light with a similar colour light called a moon light, my friend uses this one and said you can sleep with it on as its not too bright and its really cheap to run.

JollyPurpleGiant Tue 30-Apr-13 07:38:07

We swapped the ceiling light switch for a dimmer switch before DS was born.

beckslovestimmy Tue 30-Apr-13 07:38:19

£9.34 on amazon with free delivery, costs less than 1 pence a week to run if on continuously. Just search moon light in baby smile

noblegiraffe Tue 30-Apr-13 08:48:26

Asda have got cheap bedside lamps that you only need to touch to come on and they have three different brightness settings (it cycles through them when you touch it). No faffing with trying to find the switch in the night!

Gingerbreadlatte Tue 30-Apr-13 09:41:30

I just do it in the dark and usually doze off. If I need light to find DD in cotbed ( just moved to her room) I use light from my phone.

Not sure if you are BF or FF but I guess it might be harder to FF in the dark....

Gingerbreadlatte Tue 30-Apr-13 09:48:58

What meant is using a bottle vs boob. Don't care what milk is inside it!!

<<scared of ff vs Bf bun fights >>>

philbee Wed 01-May-13 03:11:47

Great, thank you. Have ordered a moon light and will see how that goes before heading to Asda. Dimmer switch is a good idea, but I'd still have to get out of bed! Am bfing, not bottle feeding.

Bookwolf32 Thu 02-May-13 20:33:40

I use one of those little lights that you push in to make them come on - they're for sticking in cupboards etc where you need a light. It is not a bright light, but gives enough light to see by.

Victoria2002 Thu 02-May-13 22:56:15

I used the batter powered 'mighty bright' it's a clip on book light so can clip it to the bedstead or side table and carry it about like a torch too, can turn it to face the wall or not to make s small light or a big spotlight...

BedHanger Thu 02-May-13 23:00:44

Hmm, blue isn't a good colour for quality of sleep. Amber would be better.

I really like my Lumie as you can adjust the light in tiny increments, and also it automatically switches itself off after a while.

didireallysaythat Thu 02-May-13 23:02:01

Sounds like you've got it covered but for what it's worth we bought a set of Philips imageo lights - a bit like rechargeable tea lights. The advantage is that they are cordless and hold their charge all night. When potty training we would leave one in the bathroom at night and when I was bf the light was easy enough to fall asleep with (I think the fake flickering helped).

BedHanger Thu 02-May-13 23:02:21

Here's a link explaining why blue light is a bad idea at night:

www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Health_Letter/2012/May/blue-light-has-a-dark-side/

philbee Sat 04-May-13 04:29:58

Hmm, well I haven't opened the light yet so can always send it back. What lumie do you have, bedhanger? I looked at them but could only find the animal shaped night light ones.

BedHanger Sat 04-May-13 06:36:50

I have this one, philbee -
www.amazon.co.uk/Lumie-Bodyclock-STARTER-Wake-up-Light/dp/B002TEXEAI

Not cheap (£50) but my previous one lasted for six years without a bulb change and I only replaced it because it became obsolete. It has a sunset/sunrise function which is excellent for resetting or supporting your bodyclock, especially in winter.

Sorry I didnt get to the thread earlier, but I really would avoid blue light at night if possible, especially if your sleep cycles are already being disturbed by a hungry baby. Blue light is so effective in waking you up that you can now get blue SAD lights to perk you up in the daytime!

BedHanger Sat 04-May-13 06:39:11

PS, what are you doing your late night MN'ing on? If its an iPad/phone, did you know you can reverse the colours so the background is black?

We used touch lamps. They have 3 brightness settings. I just kept it on low so it didn't disturb DP or startle DS. Got them from Argos, a set of 2 were £15 IIRC.
We also have one in DS's room so if he wakes up in the night we can just put it on low and see what's up without disturbing him too much.

Callthemidlife Sat 04-May-13 06:47:14

I used an ordinary lamp and just bought a red bulb.

Iggi101 Sat 04-May-13 06:58:16

You want this one:
www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B008FLTG6U/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1367646870&sr=8-7&pi=SL75
Dimmable (not just 3 settings), also has a "fade off" 15 min thing, and (very importantly when they are older) the bulb is fully enclosed so no burn risk.
I had one for first dc, and bought another for dc2 as liked it so much.

Callthemidwife, like off of Roxaaaane? grin

Iggi that looks amazing! We need new lamps so that could be an option.

We had the same light as Iggi and it is amazing - one of the best things I've ever bought!

katiecubs Sun 05-May-13 08:32:38

I have a blue kiddies night light thing from ikea - you push the top and it comes on.

I sleep with it on as does DS - never had a problem or heard anything about blue light being bad. To be honest it seems most natural to me as just looks like moon light.

philbee Sun 05-May-13 11:24:36

iggi I think that looks like what we need. I have the hall light on and DD1 doesn't seem to wake if I leave the door open so it would be better to have sthn I could put on at a dim level. Will check it out, thank you.

bedhanger that lamp looks like just what DH needs, he's hopeless in the mornings and has tried various strategies, none successful.

Iggi101 Sun 05-May-13 16:39:46

Philbee, I sounded really bossy in my earlier post! But have tried quite a few lights and that on really is the business.
Just make sure you have a long, thin screwdriver to open it to access the bulb and don't hack at it and break the casing like me so you have to buy a new one

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now