Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Newborn constantly formula feeding. Starting to worry me!

(10 Posts)
Bluemonkeyspots Mon 29-Apr-13 20:42:01

Dd is 3 weeks old and was 10lb 6oz at birth so obviously I expected her to be a good feeder but she is constantly starving!

She feeds every 2 hours and is on 5oz bottles (wont take any more than this)

Have given her water between feeds which she takes but it makes no difference to how much milk she wants.

She maybe goes one 4 hour gap in 24 hours (usually during afternoon sleep) but the rest of the day she feeds every few hours.

Example- last night at 9pm
she took 2 5oz bottles back to back (this was unusual as she would normally only take 5 and no more)

12.30am- 5oz
3am-5oz
5am-5oz
6.30am-5oz
9am-5oz
11am-5oz
1pm-5oz
3pm-5oz

The health visitor said she should have about 30oz a day for her weight and she has had 50 in less than 24 hours!!!

Don't know why I'm posting as obviously I can't not feed her but it can't be good for her wee belly having all that milk can it?

I bought a tin on Wednesday which was finished yesterday so had to go out for another. I'm sure a tin is supposed to last a newborn more than 4 days.

She only has one poo a day so it's not like its running through her.
Nipped out for Hungry baby milk at this point

6pm-5oz hungry milk
8pm-5oz hungry milk(starving at this point!)

Bluemonkeyspots Mon 29-Apr-13 20:52:48

Sorry post seems to have split.

Last few lines should be somewhere in the middle

Have you tried a dummy? Could it be that she just wants to suck? That's a hell of alot of milk. Frequent feeding is normal but that's excessive.

Do you go straight for the bottle or do you try other things first?

Bluemonkeyspots Mon 29-Apr-13 21:14:58

We try other things, walking rocking shaking toys etc.

I give water but had not tried a dummy as was told not to till 6 weeks but am tempted to get one to see if it makes a difference.

She was only fed about a hour ago but just had her in the bath and she is throwing her head about looking for food!

If your formula feeding there's not gin a be nipple confusion from a dummy smile

Is she sick alot? Refluxy babies constantly appear to wanna eat and drink because the swallowing helps.

Bluemonkeyspots Mon 29-Apr-13 21:40:43

No never really sick.

If she is its just a mouthful while she burps.

She will look like Hagrid by summer if she carries on like this hmm

Has she always been hungry? Or is it recently ?

Summerlover Wed 01-May-13 02:30:55

Seems a lot. May be all age wants is to suck suck try dummy if you like.

AdmiralData Sun 05-May-13 22:26:50

I've got a similar problem OP, my DS(8 weeks) was born 9lbs and is now 14lbs 3oz. He has not stopped stuffing his chubby little face. Midwives and HV said not a problem, that I am doing right by feeding on demand and I know EXACTLY what the back to back feeds are like. When he screams after finishing a bottle, being burped, changed, cuddled, bounced etc you think surely to God he can't be hungry but yup ... he is. HV seems to think it will pass, so all I can suggest is wait and see? I know how bloody expensive it can be too sad

Bluemonkeyspots Mon 06-May-13 11:35:19

Thanks admiral, that has made me feel so much better!

I think (touch wood) we have calmed down a little bit, we are still feeding mostly 2-3 hours but there is a couple of times a day it will stretch out to nearer the four. We do feed constantly at night though. Seems to be routine now to down 3 bottles between 8 and midnight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now