ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

Bf Health Benefits duration?

(6 Posts)
dummylover Mon 29-Apr-13 19:37:04

Hi - can anyone with knowledge on bf health benefits please help? I have been looking for information on what health benefits are attached to different bf durations. I have found one resource online but it doesnt really answer exactly what i want to know.

I am planning to ebf until 6 months after which i am returning to work. I am not able to express enough/do not wish to go down the expressing at work route so ds will be having formula during the day. I have recently been contemplatjng keeping up morning and evening bfs though up until he is one or possibly older if i want to, rather than stopping altogether at 6 months. I was wondering if this would be of much nutritional benefit though if he is only getting two bfs a day? I have read that bf up to a year or more brings life long benefits, but would this still apply with what im proposing?

What health benefits would two bf a day bring after 6 months?

Thanks

scrivette Mon 29-Apr-13 20:18:23

I think that there is some information on the Kellymom website and this fact sheet may help a little.

http://www.nct.org.uk/sites/default/files/related_documents/Breastfeeding – how long information sheet_6.pdf

(Sorry on iiPhone which doesn't seem to do proper links).

Notanexcitingname Mon 29-Apr-13 21:47:40

There are nutritional and immunological advantages to breast milk no matter what the age of your baby. There is a dosage effect, in that an exclusively breastfed baby is less likely to suffer from x than a mixed fed baby, but past 6 months, when the vast majority of babies are mixed fed (mixed feeding here being with solids rather than formula) this gap narrows, and I would suspect has not been assessed.
Most studies simply look at exclusive vs mixed vx excusive formula at under 6 months (where mixed either bf + formula or bf + food) and past 6 months at bf + food or formula + food. I suspect there's very little difference at 6 months; I mean some (not many) bf babies drop down to food + two bf's a day fairly early on, so the formula could just be considered as extra solids intake.
It sounds like you've not actually given birth yet; concentrate on getting to 6 months, then see how you feel then smile

dummylover Mon 29-Apr-13 22:23:23

Hi - thanks very much for your response and the info, that is a very good point about some bf having dropped to only 2 feeds anyway, so presumably purposefully giving only 2 feeds a day would offer some long term benefit still.

I have given birth already and have been ebf my ds for 13 weeks now! Ive got to a stage where im really starting to enjoy it and time is flying now so am just starting to look to the future a bit more and consider my options.

dummylover Mon 29-Apr-13 22:28:51

Sorry - thanks scrivette, thats brilliant ill have a look!

WouldBeHarrietVane Mon 29-Apr-13 22:51:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now