Fast let-down / shallow latch

(7 Posts)
moremintsliceplease Tue 30-Apr-13 12:03:45

I came on here to post exactly the same about my newborn so will await the responses you get too. I breastfed my first for two years but am finding the brand new stage, and the sore nipples from poor attachment very hard. Good luck!

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 30-Apr-13 10:36:06

This link might help:

kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supply-worries/fast-letdown/

It's quite common for oversupply problems not to manifest themselves until baby is a few weeks old.

I would call the LLL bf helpline.

DS 10 months does this when he gets a let down, pulls right to the end of my nipple. He did have tongue tie and possibly still does, I would get it checked by as many people as you can as it's often missed. You can also look here:
milkmatters.org.uk/2011/04/15/hidden-cause-of-feeding-problems-however-you-feed-your-baby/

Whatever you do, get it sorted while he's small as it just gets harder, especially when they get teeth!

Try and get referred to a lactation consultant maybe?

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 30-Apr-13 10:28:52

Did you read the info on tt? Videos it sound like what could be happening? Tt is notoriously easy to miss and there is a whole thread of MNers who were told there babies didn't have it only to find out later they did....

If you need help with the latch I'd go to a bfing group again. Have you got a la Leche league near to you? Have a look on youtube too at dr jack newman latch.

CityDweller Tue 30-Apr-13 10:23:22

The mw had a quick look last week, re. tongue tie, and said she seemed fine. I have been to a bf drop-in (and had several people to house when we had real issues in early days). Counsellor at drop-in said that her latch would get deeper as she got older, but that other than her always adjusting an initially deep latch to a more shallow one, generally things looked good and she seemed to be sucking well. We didn't discuss the fast let-down thing as I don't think I was aware of it as a potential problem then.

JiltedJohnsJulie Tue 30-Apr-13 10:06:41

Has she been checked for tongue tie at all city?

Have you got a bfing support group near to you? Ideally you need a BFC to observe a whole feed.

CityDweller Mon 29-Apr-13 16:48:34

I think I have an over abundance of milk or fast let down on one side only. When feeding on my left my 2wk old splutters, coughs and pulls back on nipple and ends up with a shallow latch, no matter how good the latch is to start. We also gets windy and grizzly after feeding on that side and it takes ages to finish a feed, compared to right. The shallow latch is also beginning to cause some nipple soreness (that I'd finally healed after big latch problems when she was brand new). I unlatch and re-latch her multiple times, but it still ends up shallow.

Any suggestions? Should I block feed on the left - eg two feeds from left to every one from right? Express on the left side before latching her on? She's generally feeding every 2-3 hrs and takes about 10-20 mins on right but often closer to an hour on left.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now