Nipple turned black

(10 Posts)

Where do I go for help? DS is 10 months and has an extremely shallow latch that seemingly cannot be corrected.

As the title suggests, one of my nipples now has a black patch on it.

I fear the gp will not have a clue and will just tell me to stop breastfeeding.

rubyslippers Mon 29-Apr-13 14:11:22

bruised??

can you get to a la leche league meeting?

Some GPs are very good re breastfeeding - mine were and i went for a couple of breastfeeding probs and stopping was never suggested

yes I think possibly bruised but it's very dark for a bruise, usually brown on my very fair skin but this is very black.

Sadly my gps are not so accomodating, had mastitis 4 times and every time they suggest I give up sad

Oh and DS is sick so don't want to venture out to a meeting and have him infect everyone!

Littleturkish Mon 29-Apr-13 14:16:41

Snow can you get a bf counsellor out to have a look? How large is the bruise?

rubyslippers Mon 29-Apr-13 14:19:39

oh dear am sorry to hear that

I would urge you to call a breastfeeding helpline in the meantime

Ok good idea, I haven't tried calling before. Who should I call and where do you get a breastfeeding counsellor from and do they cost money and do they come out post 6 months?!

It takes up half my nipple. I'm pretty sure it's his teeth rubbing against it actually. When he smiles I can see that it's wedged very tightly inbetween his tongue and his teeth

SweetTeaVodka Mon 29-Apr-13 14:51:05

Breastfeeding Network helpline is 0300 100 0210. You can find their clinics and support groups here.

The La Leche Leagues helpline is 0845 120 2918. You can see if the have any groups in your area here.

Not sure is Milk Matters cover your area but they have can come out to your home for a fee. Try also Googling "lactation consultant [your area]" to see if anyone local to you comes up?

Hope you get things sorted soon, in the meantime have you tried covering it in EBM? It's brilliant for healing.

PanpiperAtTheGatesOfYawn Mon 29-Apr-13 14:55:15

Could it be kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/nipple-blanching/ " If so you need to keep your nipple as warm as possible and correct that latch.

PanpiperAtTheGatesOfYawn Mon 29-Apr-13 14:55:33

That link is supposed to say vasospasm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now