does tongue tie matter once feeding established?

(8 Posts)
ENSMUM Mon 29-Apr-13 19:22:05

Thanks all. I will mention it to the HV when I'm next at clinic

Graciescotland Mon 29-Apr-13 14:39:17

I had DS's tongue tie resnipped at 4mo under GA definitely got the imprssion from the, lovely and sympathetic, surgeon that she was doing it primarily to help with feeding (shallow latch seemed to equal lots of mastitis for me). He does seem happier though he's stopped constantly doing this odd tongue thrusting motion and drools less (although I expect that'll be short lived).

I'd ask gp for a referral; it's such a quick thing to fix if it's a problem.

mawbroon Mon 29-Apr-13 14:05:41

There is a huge variation in tongue ties and the problems that they cause.

some here

DS1 went undiagnosed until age 6yo. His tongue tie has caused a high palate and he is now wearing braces to widen it so that all his adult teeth will fit and headgear to draw out the middle section of his face to open up his nostrils.

Some of the problems he had which were related to his tie included mouth breathing, gastric problems, really poor sleeping and bouts of sleep apnoea, ear congestion and hearing loss, dental problems including tongue thrusting which was causing an open bite, amongst others.

There is much more to tongue tie than feeding and speech and being able to stick the tongue out!!!

CrazyOldCatLady Mon 29-Apr-13 10:19:53

DS is 14 months and tongue tied. He did have feeding problems but for other reasons, and now that we're past that stage his paed doesn't think it's worth snipping it. We'll wait and see how his speech goes though - he only has one word so far which is worrying me.

Drladybird Mon 29-Apr-13 10:07:33

A tongue tie was picked up in my daughter at the 6 week check but because breast feeding was established, it was fine and nothing more has been needed to be done. I suggest you talk to your health visitor if you are not sure but wouldn't worry. I've just finished breastfeeding my daughter (who has just turned 2).

Growlithe Mon 29-Apr-13 05:46:38

DD1 is tongue-tied. We struggled with BF so eventually swapped to FF.

That has been the only issue she has had. She is 9yo now. We were advised that it would only need cutting if se had problems with speech and fortunately she didn't.

Oodsigma Mon 29-Apr-13 05:37:14

It can be a problem for speech depending on severity. Dd3 has one which made her feed v slowly but no other affects. Dd2s salt advised that if she couldn't stick her tongue our it needed doing for her speech.

ENSMUM Mon 29-Apr-13 05:19:56

DS is 6 mo EBF. We had some feeding issues to start, mostly with him being very windy, but never anything too bad and he has always been a "good" feeder.

Recently, I've noticed a divit in end of tongue and think it looks tied. Do we need to do anything about this, or does it only matter for feeding (which isn't a problem)?

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now