How long does your baby feed for?

(9 Posts)
WouldBeHarrietVane Mon 29-Apr-13 15:57:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Yes he had it done at 4 weeks but I don't think it got done properly or maybe it has grown back. I think the upper lip tie is more of a problem now...I don't know, I need an expert but the HV said they probably won't do much now as he's older...

WouldBeHarrietVane Mon 29-Apr-13 14:18:49

Thank you Harriet, it seems it could be normal and yes he's gaining weight fine, that's not the issue but his night waking is and I think this could be at the root of it...got bigger problems now, my.nipple turned black, I think due to his shallow latch, started yet another thread!!

SweetTeaVodka Mon 29-Apr-13 13:38:28

My DD gulps rapidly for 3-5 minutes, followed by slower sucks with less frequent swallows, then comfort sucking/attempts to stimulate second letdown, or comes off. She sometimes fusses for the other side when she comes off and sometimes is content and "milk-drunk" for a few minutes.

Allow it does sound like your son is feeding very quickly, I'm not sure comparing his habits to other babies is necessarily going to give you an accurate idea of how he is feeding - it may be that he is getting a large volume very quickly, so is getting full up quicker?

Does he seem satisfied after a feed? Is he gaining weight & having plenty of wet nappies? If yes to all those questions, I would imagine he is getting what he needs.

Is there a breast feeding support group near you? It may reassure you to have a feed observed and discuss with someone who can assess his feeding and him and tell you how you are doing (don't know about elsewhere, but in my area the Breastfeeding Network have support groups run concurrently with HV weight clinics at the children's centres, so you can have weight checked, baby seen by HV and support for feeding all in one place).

WouldBeHarrietVane Mon 29-Apr-13 12:54:38

WouldBeHarrietVane Sun 28-Apr-13 20:20:46

MultipleMama Sun 28-Apr-13 20:04:06

Dts1 feeds for around 25-30 minutes, last 10 are him usually just nursing for comfort and dts2 takes around 35 minutes and falls asleep on boob. Not sure about swallowing part, can't say I've paid attention as they feed well.

Oh, dts are 7 months. Sorry that I don't have any advice to offer! X

I wrote another post but it didn't make sense so trying again.

How long does your baby feed for and if you can tell apart the comfort sucking and actual swallowing I mean how long are they actually swallowing for?

DS is 10 months and takes an average of 20 seconds, I am starting to worry about very low supply. He never takes longer than 30 seconds of swallowing...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now