NUK teats - do they make a difference???

(30 Posts)
emsyj Sat 27-Apr-13 16:24:54

That old 'breastfed baby won't take a bottle' chestnut is rearing its ugly head in my house AGAIN ((sigh)) sad. I had this issue with DD1 and so planned to give DD2 a daily expressed bottle to ensure it didn't recur, but it hasn't worked - for the last 4 days she has pushed the teat out of her mouth with her tongue.

I've been using MAM bottles and teats but have just ordered an NUK bottle with the latex teat to see if it makes a difference - any nice anecdotes about bottle refusers accepting a NUK latex teat to cheer me up?? Please??

<hopeful>

emsyj Sun 28-Apr-13 21:41:37

I did go out for quite a while last week as it happens, to meet work colleagues for a few drinks. Up to that point, DD2 had been having a bottle every day (although the amount she took varied from 2oz to 6oz) so I happily went off leaving two full bottles in the fridge and the whole time I was out she would only have 1oz. She fed for ages when I got back, although she was not too grizzly in my absence given that she must have been pretty hungry. Maybe I should work up to going out for a while again and see if she takes the NUK one.

letsgetreadytoramble Mon 29-Apr-13 06:21:57

My baby refused every kind of bottle, but eventually accepted the playtex bottle latex teats after a morning of no breast milk and just me constantly offering him the bottle (was pretty awful but once he accepted the bottle he was fine.) After a few weeks on the playtex bottle I switched him to TT bottles and he took to it them away.

abigboydidit Sun 05-May-13 18:19:26

Did you have any luck OP?

emsyj Sun 05-May-13 22:28:41

No sad. I've just posted on the other thread about 'ready to give up' as I really really don't want to bf this baby for a year - I wanted to ebf for 6 months and then wean off. sad That makes me feel very selfish, but that's how I feel.

I'm now wondering whether there is any hope of being able to give up at 6 months and considering the prospect of starving DD2 into submission. That's a shitty thing to do, isn't it? sad But I don't know what the other options would be, other than carry on bf which I definitely don't want this time.

abigboydidit Mon 06-May-13 08:16:04

Typical. Sorry to hear that. Am having similar struggles. Issue I have is that if I wait till she's proper hungry she gets so wound up and stressed that there's no way she'll take a bottle. Plus she's quite a puke-y baby so will end up making herself sick if she cries and I couldn't bear to watch that. But, if I try her when she's about due a feed she isn't hungry enough to try! So she either wont suck a bottle or she'll take one or two gulps (enough to take the edge off her appetite) & then have none of it. Off to join you on other thread..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now