Breastfeeding, weightloss & stopping

(7 Posts)
GingerLemonTea Thu 25-Apr-13 18:14:07

After a difficult start, I have enjoyed bf my baby for the past 10months & am reluctant to stop as its v easy & gives her a lot of comfort. However it may be time due to work.

On a more shallow note, people told me bf would make me slimmer. This has not been the case & am still hovering around 10 pounds over per preg weight.

Have heard that some people don't lose the last few lbs until they stop, but am concerned that I may put on! What's been your experience of weight changes/ effect on appetite when stopping?

I dropped a stone easily when I stopped feeding. Couldn't drop a lb before hand. Looks like the same is happening this time. sad

mumtosp Thu 25-Apr-13 22:15:49

Ginger I was told the same about bf - i.e. I would lose weight as long as I bf as it is a great cardio workout for the body. And it seems to have worked for me as I lost all of my pregnancy weight a mere weeks after birth. Infact now I'm scared that I'll put on weight when I stop bf...

I guess things things are not 100% and depend on each person... like all babies are different, all mummiesare also different smile

mumtosp Thu 25-Apr-13 22:16:52

just mere not *a mere smile

UterusUterusGhali Thu 25-Apr-13 22:18:24

I could only lose weight when it stopped tbh.

Although the easiest way to stop is to get pg!

HootShoot Thu 25-Apr-13 22:20:50

I breastfed for a year and steadily gained weight throughout that period and afterwards. That might have had something to do with the extra chocolate I was eating, thinking bfing would negate effects of naughty food though blush

I BF for 8 months. My weight gradually dropped off but not much. The week after I stopped I lost about 8lbs in one go!

I think my body held onto a lot of fat to feed the baby, and once he stopped BF, the fat went.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now