Breast feeding issues at night only?

(8 Posts)
HadALittleFaithBaby Wed 24-Apr-13 20:08:00

Thanks everyone. DH was twitched about this so I rang the national bf hotline (to speak to an 'expert' - he doesn't quite see MN like I do!) who said yes it's totally normal. Happily she started earlier this evening - about 5. Her advice was similar - get set up, chill out but she suggested dim lights, no tv to guide DD into realising its night (over time). DH had for 1 1/2 hours after she fed about 2-3 and I slept so I'm ok if she doesn't go down for a while.
Free yes I'm happy to palm her off on people and DH takes her a lot! smile

Hi Faith smile

DS did exactly that on day 10/11. He fed solidly from about 7pm to 11pm, had a normal 2/3 hourly wake feed through the night and then fed solidly from 8am to 12pm the next day. I put it down to a growth spurt as he settled back down that evening.
Typically, this was the first day that we arranged a day out with him - we were late!!!

We have been topping him up with EBM from a bottle, but don't want to advise as he's been on EBM since day one!

Sounds like cluster feeding - my record was aboutv6 hours ( but I am feeding twins so they only have one boob each!). Second reading up on kellymom - I read the same info practically every night to reassure myself!

It continues on and off for a good while - at 11 weeks, it's now easing off a lot but was pretty constant up til now. Get your dinner served in a bowl, box set on the Telly and baby in a comfy position.

Oh I also find that switching positions ( rather than just switching boobs) helped a lot - almost as if a different position allowed the baby to stimulate a different area of boob/milk production. And don't be afraid to get someone else to walk her around for 15/20 mins to give you a break

RedKites Wed 24-Apr-13 16:32:08

Have a read here on Kellymom about cluster feeding and evening fussiness. If that sounds like what is happening, it is very normal, and won't last forever (but might continue for a few weeks yet). Also, eating to hunger, drinking to thirst and resting when you can are all good things to do for your wellbeing, but as I understand, it is only at the extremes (e.g. famine conditions) that not doing these things would affect your milk supply.

HadALittleFaithBaby Wed 24-Apr-13 14:36:07

Thanks by the way, it does help smile

HadALittleFaithBaby Wed 24-Apr-13 14:35:41

I definitely need to sleep more in the day. Off for a nap in a minute. I think you might be right about the milk quality at night. I got fixated on the MW saying generally its better at night but that's not necessarily true for everyone is it? I plan to nap tonight after dinner (hoping she'll feed then sleep for a bit round then) and then have the energy to stay up.

cathan Wed 24-Apr-13 11:59:19

The problem may not be with her feeding, but with your supply. I was always low on milk later in the day and if you're tired yourself (as you must be!) you may be making less milk in the evenings. Your DD may therefore be sucking more but getting less. Make sure you're resting as much as you can and also eating and drinking enough. Nap in the day if you're not getting enough sleep at night and snack/drink in the evening. The supply and demand loop will take few days to catch up if she's needing more at night so try to be patient. Certainly don't give bottles as this will undermine your supply. Breastfeeding is a struggle at first, but it's worth it so hang in there! Hope this helps.

HadALittleFaithBaby Wed 24-Apr-13 08:26:42

DD is 10 days old. In the day time she really seems to have cracked it. Good latch, feeds usually about 30-45 mins. Seemed satisfied afterwards and sleeps for a couple of hours, goes down to sleep (usually in her Moses basket in the same room as us). Nights are a different story. She's started feeding about 8/9 and she can be feeding for up to 2 hours. Last night even after two hours she was still rooting and she didn't settle. By the time she did she'd been awake for about 3 hours which I know is too long. I have given her two top ups of EBM from a cup but even that didn't settle her for long....what's settled her is a 1/2 hr feed this morning.
MW did say she's having a growth spurt when she saw her day 8 but this doesn't seem right to me.
Any idea what's going on? Is she not latching so well at night and then fatiguing and getting into a vicious cycle? I have been very resistant to introducing a bottle so early (which is DH's answer to everything and each time he says the 'b' word I get quite worked up) but I'm wondering about giving her EBM from a bottle tonight to try to fill her up before bed....or is introducing the bottle going to be detrimental to the feeding so early on? Help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now