Going cold turkey (giving up BF)

(5 Posts)
rubyslippers Wed 24-Apr-13 15:01:34

i did cold turkey but my child was much older

i wouldn't bother with bottles at six months and go straight to a sippy cup

either way cold turkey could lead to you getting mastitis and upset for your baby especially as at 6 months to a year they need a fair amount of milk

what about mixing expressed milk with formula and gradually reducing the amount of BM until they are taking formula?

i wouldn't personally advise cold turkey with a baby this young until they can get milk from a bottle or sippy cup successfully first

WouldBeHarrietVane Wed 24-Apr-13 14:57:37

This is a very bad idea and could threaten your child's weight gain and their trust in you as well as cause them real distress. You could also get terrible mastitis.

Try a sippy cup first and only consider reducing bfs if the sippy cup is taken well.

SirBoobAlot Wed 24-Apr-13 13:21:05

I think you need to focus on finding a way for to take milk first, rather than just stopping. Going cold turkey is a bad idea for you health wise, and stopping when he has no other income of food is frankly dangerous.

This myth of 'a baby with take a bottle if they're really hungry' is just a myth.

ausgal Tue 23-Apr-13 09:25:16

I gave up feeding my 11mth old, cold turkey, I expressed over a week and that was that... DS, however, still refused any milk (formula, cows or expressed), bottle or cup for a number of months. However, as he was a little older than your DC, the milk intake, or lack of, wasn't an issue, as he was eating cheese and yoghurt and I was giving him a supplement with Calcium in it.
DS loves milk now.
Perhaps try expressed milk in a cup?

MayimBialik Tue 23-Apr-13 09:17:29

Has anyone ever given up BFing their child by going cold turkey? DS is currently 5 months, EBF and refuses the bottle despite several attempts. However, I would like to give up BFing at 6 months and see no way of going about it other than cold turkey. Has anyone successfully done this with a baby that has been EBF and previously refused bottles?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now