Thrush - is it safe to use canesten on nipples while breastfeeding?

(11 Posts)
BonaDea Wed 24-Apr-13 23:05:34

Long distance. Did those measures do the trick? Am on my second course of fluconazole to no avail so far. Nystatin cleared ds's mouth when we used it initially but white patches coming back do planning to switch to the daktarin gel.

What was the thing you got from h & b? I'm getting desperate!! shock

Longdistance Sun 21-Apr-13 04:09:33

I'm the nipple thrush queen.
I used Daktarin on my nips, and Daktarin oral gel for the mouth. Nystatin was useless, and did bog all.
You can either get it on prescription, or if like mr have zero patience, buy it over the counter as most pharmacies sell it.
I did eventually get ductal thrush after using the nystatin and it not being treated properly, and then was given fluconazole for the ductal thrush, and bought aphodyphillis (sic) from Holland and Barrett.

BonaDea Sun 21-Apr-13 03:39:59

The active ingredient should be miconazole. I was prescribed daktarin.

We found the nystatin great for DS but quite a lot of bad reports about it as it is resistant to many strains of thrush

I would strongly advise you also to ask the GP for some fluconazole tablets for you if there is any risk the thrush is no longer just in your nipples but is also in the breast. If the pain you get is not just in the nipple that might be the case and that won't get better even if the surface thrush is clear up. Speaking from bitter experience.

Good luck !

DoingTheSwanThing Sat 20-Apr-13 21:18:20

Sorry, miconazole cream for nips, gel is designed for mouth only (but it wouldn't be harmful, just wouldn't work as well).

DoingTheSwanThing Sat 20-Apr-13 21:14:59

It's fine, canestan is just a trade name for clotrimazole. It doesn't need washing off (have used it a few times thanks to DT2 and his recurrent oral thrush... Sorted now <touch wood>).
Did read something once about using clotrimazole cream in the mouths of babies below the weight for the nystatin licence).
I do believe miconazole gel penetrates skin slightly better hence better cure rates, but clot works well too.

Oodsigma Sat 20-Apr-13 12:54:54

I've nystan cream for it and have to wash off before feeds.
My GP was adamant you couldn't get it on nipples hmm so I checked it after she prescribed it.

(She also asked if I'd read about it on Mumsnet grin but it wasnt said very complimentarily!)

Thanks all, I shall go and have a chat with the pharmacist!

Cheers domestic. smile

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 20-Apr-13 11:56:51

You can download a fact sheet with correct info from here:
www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/thrush-and-breastfeeding.html

It also has a section for your gp on what and how to prescribe.

domesticslattern Sat 20-Apr-13 11:56:32

Hello Joyful.
I'm not a medic but that sounds a bit weird. I used Daktarin on my nipples for thrush when bf, that was definitely fine and you can buy it over the counter.
Don't know about yours but my gp is hopeless about all things bf, suggests I should be giving it up soon confused so I too did a lot of looking at Kellymom for advice.
Hope your DS is better soon. I have always admired your talk name btw.

googling suggests that miconazole is the preferred treatment for nipple thrush

www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/2448.aspx?CategoryID=54

I should know this but I can't remember, and googling gives conflicting advice. DS has oral thrush and has been prescribed nyestatin, the GP prescribed canesten for me to use on my nipples. I'm concerned about him ingesting it though and as I feed on demand it's not practical to keep applying it and washing it off. Any thoughts?

(DS is 15mo btw, but recovering from a gastric virus so feeding like a newborn!).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now