I just got my first 'time to think about weaning' from a HCP

(36 Posts)
EauRouge Wed 17-Apr-13 16:47:02

Do I get some sort of badge now? Bit peed off, also with myself for not just saying "it's not negotiable" instead of getting all flustered and saying something about it just being bedtime. I shouldn't have to defend myself angry

ShowOfHands Thu 18-Apr-13 21:47:14

*here

ShowOfHands Thu 18-Apr-13 21:48:34

Ooooh I've also had the you can't bf your child during norovirus as dairy is bad for them. I am not a cow.

harverina Thu 18-Apr-13 22:21:38

Haha showofhands grin at I am not a cow!

You know i am laughing at the responses of hcp'a but as you say eau your dd could have ended up in hospital if it wasn't for her staying hydrated via breast milk. My dd was exactly the same and added to that she got a tremendous amount of comfort when poorly and Breastfeeding. It's actually pretty dangerous advice we have been getting.

Cannot believe that some hcp'a would think that a toddler would oy be getting breastmilk. My dd loved boo boo but she loves her grub too!

Someone said up thread about setting up a meeting with their hv just to shock them - seriously I was often tempted to goad health professionals and others as I knew what their response would be! But that's not nice of me grin

I

harverina Thu 18-Apr-13 22:22:16

So sorry for typos blush

Teatimecakes Thu 18-Apr-13 23:17:59

I came across some major ignorance on our local hospitals peadiatric ward this year. DS was just 13 weeks and admitted to hospital with d and v bug. I was told to stop feeding immediately. Being a ftm I did so for 12 hours. Then after a bit of research as it just didn't sit right with me, had an actual row with peadiatric nurse who said my milk was a dairy product and would make him worse! Threw the WHO and NICE guidelines at her and fed DS. He was well and home in 8 hours after 12 hours of going downhill on dioralyte - unbelievable that drs can be so ignorant.

LauraPashley Thu 18-Apr-13 23:30:54

Am loving "I am not a cow" grin! Sure I will have occasion to use it soon as the d&v bug is doing the rounds again here. Dd2 has her 2 year check coming up, where the HV will no doubt tell me off for still feeding her, as she did when dd1 was that age. Anyway just wanted to put in a good word for nhs24 who on 3 separate occasions recently have made positive comments re bf and also confirmed that it was the best thing a d&v stricken dd could have!

5madthings Fri 19-Apr-13 00:40:00

teatime that is shocking that they made you stop bfeeding a 13wk old!

If I were you I would be writing to inform them if their misguided and frankly shockingly crap 'advice'.

Startail Fri 19-Apr-13 00:54:00

AS for medication, DD2 probably got a some non BFing anti fungal stuff when she was about 4, I did gently try and suggest she stopped.

She was having non of it so I decided she really wasn't small enough or feeding often enough to worry hugely.

Fortunately in the next 5 years I never had to take anything the dr. wouldn't have given her.

And no I haven't died of anemia, I'm sadly, heavier than when she was a baby and DH certainly seems happy.

And given she went to school with my GP's DDs it's probably best I never did have to say anything.

Teatimecakes Fri 19-Apr-13 01:29:03

Made a formal complaint to the ward sister the next morning. She was mortified and took it very seriously - the next peadiatric dr we saw congratulated me on standing my ground with the night staff and that I'd don't the right thing! Senior consultant then came to see us to apologise on behalf of 'the team'

Teatimecakes Fri 19-Apr-13 01:29:37

Major arse covering!!

moremintsliceplease Sun 21-Apr-13 08:05:37

Gosh I am glad we live in Oz whenever mine had D&V as a baby/toddler the drs were always relieved he was still feeding and said small frequent feeds were the best thing for him.

When I went to the doc when preg again I was a bit apprehensive about saying I was still breastfeeding my 26 mth old but she just smiled and said she fed her youngest til he was 3.5

I thinj health professionals have a really big influence on attitudes I know I have been v lucky and am sure I have breastfed longer here than would have otherwise.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now