11 months old DS - feeding 5+ times during the night. Want to BF but the nights are killing me

(9 Posts)
Hotpotatofood Mon 01-Apr-13 18:31:43

Working full time + 4yo DS. Would love to carry on bf BUT waking up during the times just killing me - I am exhausted and on the edge of coping. please advise me how to ease off the nights, it is happening ALL the time

feekerry Mon 01-Apr-13 19:29:17

i feel your pain. dd is almost 12 months and the same. used to be an okay sleeper but now wakes 3-4 times a night for boob. won't let anyone else settle her. its killing me too.
co sleeping is a no no for us as i get less sleep.
i cant work out if she is waking for boob or because of boob. i want to carry on but would love to night wean her but cant see that happening. i have a horrible feeling that he having boob is to the detriment of her sleep....

DS has always been like this, except he used to wake every hour until the last few nights. We tried absolutely everything and didn't see any significnt change until a mumsnetter suggested that he was in fact hungry. We have been giving him more solids all day but making sure quite a bit in the evening, an hour or so before bed and making sure it's food that will keep him going. Pasta seems to work well, fruit doesn't (makes him hyper and wake more often)

Could this be an issue do you think?

feekerry Mon 01-Apr-13 21:05:11

well dd has upped her solids intake massively recently so yes it probably has something to do with it but i literally cannot get anymore solids into her. she eats all day long!!
however good point about the right types of food..... pasta is a good idea. what else could i try....?

I'm not sure, maybe porridge? Do a quick search for low GI foods or complex carbohydrates as I think those are the ones that keep you fuller longer. We have found the sugary ones t be a problem (like fruit)

Hotpotatofood Tue 02-Apr-13 13:32:04

I have heard of a method giving water to the baby during the night?

mumnosbest Wed 03-Apr-13 11:08:26

DD has started doing this at 14 months so completely empathise. She's not a big eater either. My only suggestion is cosleeping. It's the only thing that has saved my sanity and sleep some nights!

DW123 Wed 03-Apr-13 23:04:45

This happened to me. The only thing that worked was DT2 co-sleeping with DH whilst I slept separately. He woke less often and sometimes DH could settle him. I nipped in to feedif not but then left him to sleep with DH. Luckily he got through it in a few weeks and it became gradually less frequent. Its now unusual for him to wake twice in a night (2 years old). Depending on how long its been going on you may find you adjust to it too. I also got one early night a week and had one weekend morning lie in.

Hope something helps soon.

Hotpotatofood Thu 04-Apr-13 14:25:39

why did it make the change that baby co sleep with you DH than with you?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now