Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career ×

Should I start giving my breastfed 9 mth old baby formula in a cup?

(8 Posts)
feekerry Tue 02-Apr-13 13:10:10

cup. never had a bottle in her life.
got her the non drip and spill one and she pretty much feeds herself from it. some days she isnt interested and waits till i get home but its there if she wants it

Welovegrapes Mon 01-Apr-13 23:16:24

I gave mine ebm in a cup and he took it brilliantly.

ilikeyoursleeves Mon 01-Apr-13 23:13:25

Did she have the ebm in a cup or a bottle? Thanks.

feekerry Mon 01-Apr-13 21:21:13

again just my opinion but i went back to work 4 days a week when my baby was 9m old and was ebf to that point so i had never expressed.
i bought cheap hand pump and did an oz a day for a couple of weeks and froze it so i had a little stock pile going then sent her with 2-3 oz per day. she never took more than that. sometimes nothing but it was there if she wanted it.
when i was back at work i expressed an oz or so at lunch break. i moved to cows milk when dd was nearly 12 months.
i bf on demand whenever i was around and still do
i never sterilized anything either....

ilikeyoursleeves Mon 01-Apr-13 21:09:12

Thanks, any idea on what formula to give him? I might do that for a few months then give cows milk. Mind you he barely drinks any water from a cup do doubt he will actually drink that much.

Welovegrapes Mon 01-Apr-13 12:47:47

Just what I would do, but I wouldn't give cow's milk as a drink at this age. I would hand express bm and give him that ebm or rent a pump.

Otherwise, if I wasn't up for doing that I would give ff at nursery.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 01-Apr-13 12:32:37

I'm not trained so could be talking out of my arse but I'd give him cows milk in a cup. It's not recommend as their main drink but if its just 3 says and you are bfing p, it won't be his main drink smile

ilikeyoursleeves Mon 01-Apr-13 12:10:24

My ds3 is still BFing about 4/5 times a day but I'm returning to work in 3 weeks time (sob) so I'm not sure what to give him for drinks when he's at nursery. I've given away my steriliser and breast pump cos I exclusively breastfed so I can't express for him. He has cows milk in his cereal and drinks water from a sippy cup but I was wondering whether to give him cows milk or buy some formula to drink on the 3 days he's at nursery?

If I should give him formula what would I buy?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now