Latch issues

(11 Posts)
BonaDea Mon 01-Apr-13 23:04:39

Thanks mc baby. He's already had a posterior to tongue tie snipped. I'm wondering whether the technique I used for the first week or so now isn't relevant / working any more as he now has much more tongue mobility?!

Am hoping lactation consultant can help me on weds.

McBaby Mon 01-Apr-13 18:12:31

Sorry not sure how god! Was there should say for.

McBaby Mon 01-Apr-13 15:05:15

Get checked god tongue tie. It can cause very shallow latch.

BonaDea Mon 01-Apr-13 13:04:45

Thanks welove grapes. Am already feeding 8-10 times a day and either we have to wake him for feeds or the early signs have just begun. He is rarely if ever crying when I start.

Have read about the laid back position but confess I haven't tried it. Keep thinking it is too good to be true but must get round to it.

I have a lactation consultant coming to help on Wednesday morning so am hoping for some more tips then. Meanwhile will try all the suggestions.

Welovegrapes Mon 01-Apr-13 12:23:12

Final comment - I think with latching the best thing is to have RL help. An LLL leader should be able to give you help with the latch if you have a group near you, or a bf drop in.

LLL helpline will be open today as well.

Welovegrapes Mon 01-Apr-13 12:18:12

This tells you about how to make your breast into a more easily latch-able sandwich and the asymmetric approach which can help latching:

www.llli.org/llleaderweb/lv/lvaugsep00p63.html

Welovegrapes Mon 01-Apr-13 12:14:43

Couple of thoughts:

- offering very often so you are feeding before baby is that hungry will help latch - latching is much easier when babies are not crying/already stressed
- on top of this look out for very early hunger signs as well - aiming for feeding at the first signs (rooting, fist sucking, fidgeting, eye movements) not the last signs (crying).
- aim for a minimum of ten to twelve feeds in 24 hours with an absolute minimum of 8.
- try biological nurturing (laid back breastfeeding) if you haven't already as this can help resolve latching issues
- if this doesn't work try other positions
- try shaping breast in a sandwich to make latching easier - will give you a link in a second.

Are you finding you are getting very engorged by any chance?

noblegiraffe Mon 01-Apr-13 08:24:07

There's something called the flipple technique (videos on YouTube) that might be useful.

FirstUpBestDressed Mon 01-Apr-13 03:36:20

Congratulations on your wee baby.
Could you try feeding skin to skin as this can help him to be stimulated to open his mouth more?
It is as important to wait for him to open his mouth as it is to be quick at moving him to the breast when he does so.Try to offer him the breast when he is mouthing /rooting rather than crying as his tongue is more likely to be forward.
Line him up so that it looks as if the nipple is in line with his nose.
When quickly bringing him to the breast have your hand behind his shoulders (not his head) to allow his head to tilt back.
Good luck and happy feeding.

BonaDea Mon 01-Apr-13 03:10:35

Oops - wasn't quite finished! He doesn't seem to be offering me a very wide mouth for me then to attach to the nipple. I wait and wait and eventually probably go for attaching him without a truly wide mouth. I've watched countless YouTube videos but the babies there are really opening v wide which I feel like DS isn't doing in the first place.

Seeing LC but not for a few days. Any tips?

BonaDea Mon 01-Apr-13 03:08:12

Ouch.

DS is 11 days old. After a very rocky start we have feeding established and he is eating well and often.

I thought we had a good latch sorted but over the last couple of days his latch has become v pinchy and I can see he often only has a small amount of areola and is effectively nipple feeding. His upper and lower lips tend not to be flanged out (tbh this was often the case but it never hurt before).

I try to unattach and reattach him when it is sore to improve the latch but am wary of doing this too often as he is clearly becoming frustrated.

I think the issue is he is not offering me a wide enough mouth

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now