Any ideas on what this is? DS 5mo BF not been painful for months now fricking hurting!!!

(6 Posts)
HelloBear Mon 01-Apr-13 19:50:40

Shakes have started, no temp at mo but it's coming.

It would be at Easter, it's going to be a complete bun fight for apts tomorrow.

redwellybluewelly Mon 01-Apr-13 12:53:48

See if you can position him to feed and drain the duct, the way you describe the redness suggests thats the trigger?

Hope you make a miraculous recovery and you're able to enjoy family and friends being over. I know a few people who suffered it around a year because of a sudden drop in interest from baby.

HelloBear Mon 01-Apr-13 12:44:45

Thanks for reply red mastitis and I are old friends. (3 x with DD and twice with DS).

Dud not think it was mastitis but starting to feel unwell and notice I have the tell tell sign of red on boob.

Fuck we have freiends and family round for lunch and know well the speed I can start feeling like death warmed up. Had to get the dr to us last time.

I think it may be the result of a growth spurt and then less feeding because of a cold.

Thought this had all passed. sad

redwellybluewelly Sun 31-Mar-13 23:14:51

Quite a lot of good advice on KellyMom about how to clear a blocked duct. Hair conditioner and a comb in a warm shower were my saviour but it was shockingly fast to get ill and then get better after I'd cleared the duct.

GP for antibiotics if it is mastitis, they can write you a script then if you don't get better within twelve hours get the drugs.

redwellybluewelly Sun 31-Mar-13 23:12:08

Are you running a temp? If you are then may be mastitis, if you're not may be a blocked duct which can go on to cause mastitis.

Blocked duct may have been caused by teething and him shifting his latch slightly. I had many many issues feeding DD (tube fed initially) and got mastitis just after she turned one, caused by a blocked duct. DH had to take DD for the night as I was delirious and unsafe to co sleep. Eventually she weaned just after her second birthday and I never had any other issues.

HelloBear Sun 31-Mar-13 22:53:45

I EBF my DS and apart from some initial problems it has been going very well.

However yesterday I noticed it was a bit sore when he latched on and today it has been agony. I get a burning/stinging sensation after feeds and my boobs seem engorged. Now he is a good feeder but would have thought my boobs are well use to upping and lOwering supply as needed by now.

Taking painkillers to reduced pain but seriously have not got the energy for this!

Any ideas?

Could it be teething and his latch has changed?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now