Breast pump. Preferences.

(15 Posts)
Emilythornesbff Sun 31-Mar-13 18:31:23

Hi.

I am b/feeding my 2 m/o baby.
I want to start expressing to give me a bit more flexibility occasionally (wine wink) and to store for future(like the bf equivalent of batch cooking).
I was going to use the Avent hand pump that I'd used with 2 yo DS?
Should I go pump shopping for something else? Any thoughts?
Thanks.
Em.

meepsmum Sun 31-Mar-13 18:43:50

i have a medela swing electric one...expensive but worth every penny i think...not that my almost 6mo Ebf baby will take anything other than my boob but thats another story!!!

leedy Sun 31-Mar-13 19:18:04

I have a Medela Mini Electric which worked great for me - if I was buying again I'd possibly get the Swing, though, as I've heard it's quieter: the Mini Electric sounds a bit like a jet plane on takeoff....

LIG1979 Sun 31-Mar-13 19:20:17

Second the medula swing. Had it since dd was 10 days old and she is now 8 months old. Have a freezer tray full off milk and been invaluable for when I want a couple of glass of winewine, kit days or just a break away from dd. Not sure i would have stuck with bf for so long if it hadn't been for the pump.

I also had a problem with the first pump and the helpline was great!

LIG1979 Sun 31-Mar-13 19:20:48

glasses even

McPheetStink Sun 31-Mar-13 19:23:47

I'm using the Medela Mini, whilst trying to get my supply back up.

Very good, but very noisy.

Most definitely not something you can use in secret grin

MrsFuzzyBuzzy Sun 31-Mar-13 19:27:30

Medela swing is soooo much better than the Phillips electric one - I had both (bought the Medela as couldn't get on with the other one). I had a prem baby and also has a hospital grade one on hire as she couldn't bf, and that was ace (Medela again, think it was the symphony).

Emilythornesbff Sun 31-Mar-13 20:41:36

Wow, thanks.
Pretty strong case for the med. swing then.
What's so good about it?

LIG1979 Sun 31-Mar-13 21:28:56

It is small, compact and works on both electric and battery which is useful. Got 2 pumping settings - one to get the milk going and then one to extract it.

To be honest - not tried another pump so cannot compare but it worked for me. grin

MrsFuzzyBuzzy Sun 31-Mar-13 22:45:27

Easy to clean, and you can get tuning and extra cup to make it into a double pump. Also small, and can run on batteries.

Welovegrapes Sun 31-Mar-13 23:39:14

You can sterilise in microwave in Medela sterilising bags - very handy!

Also, the Medela swing, you can pump straight into a freezer bag, so no milk wasted transferring it, and no washing up bottles.
I really think that expressing so DH could feed DD while I had some sleep has helped me keep exclusively BFing - I felt loads of pressure as the only one who could help before I started expressing.

I also like the Phillips comfort pump that I got on a tester thread here, just as good IMHO, but bulkier, and I think more expensive.

Emilythornesbff Mon 01-Apr-13 07:32:07

Ah, thanks very much.

SweepTheHalls Mon 01-Apr-13 07:37:20

I rated the avent electric one. Manual was useless, but the electric in worked on mains or batteries, had a great cool/ storage bag for out and about and keeping the milk cool until you got home.

Emilythornesbff Mon 01-Apr-13 10:53:38

Hmmm. I am tempted to get an electric one. Ohhhh. What to do.
I find the hand one does the job though. Just don't want to be missing out on something fabulous. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now