Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

When did your DC stop having a bottle?

(7 Posts)

My DS is 20mo and still has a bottle before bed and first thing in the morning. It hasn't occurred to us to stop this yet but someone asked us the other day and seemed surprised that we were still giving him any milk.
So how old were your DC when they stopped? Is the an age when you're suppose to stop?

balkanscot Sat 30-Mar-13 17:00:11

The official NHS/dentist recommendation is to start weaning them off bottles at 12+ months. I was fully prepared to start weaning DS then (and thought I was going to have a battle on my hands) but he decided to wean himself at 10 months (after a particularly bad bout of cold). He just wasn't interested in having bottles - kept pushing them away but would happily drink from a sippy cup, so it wasn't that he went off milk. So we had to introduce sippy cup straight away.

He is almost 12 months so he has a bit of milk in the morning, then I offer him milk at lunch and tea, and has a small drink of milk before bed (all from Tommee Tippee free flowing cup).

Thanks for your reply. I guess I meant when should they stop having milk more than specifically a bottle, but I suppose that explained why our friend seemed surprised!
DS was bf until nearly a year and it took us ages to get him to drink milk from anything and when he finally did it was from a tommy tippee bottle. So we decided that whilst he was still having milk at bedtime we would just give it in a bottle to save the hassle. We have intermittently tried a cup with no success and milk is all he drinks out of a bottle so I think it's probably fine. It doesn't affect his appetite and he only has a few oz so I'll carry on until we start to potty train.
I seem to have answered my own question here but thanks again!

Mummynotmum Sat 30-Mar-13 19:02:01

32mo DD still has milk, in a sippy cup before bed and first thing in the morning. DD(5) still has a big cup as soon as he wakes up. I keep telling him he can stop but he doesn't want to!

5eggstremelychocaletymadeggs Sat 30-Mar-13 19:08:46

My dd is 27mths and has milk in a bottle before bed.
Two of mine bfed till three years old so i see dd having her milk in a bottle as the same.

As long as they drink from a cup the rest of the time and you clean their teeth before bed a bottle at bedtime/morning is fine smile

JollyYellowGiant Sat 30-Mar-13 19:14:45

We stopped the bottle at about 1year and swapped for a sippy cup. DS was bf morning and night when I was home and just had the cup of cows milk when I was away. We stopped bf at 20mo and he now (at 23mo) has a sippy cup of milk morning and night.

I think they are supposed to have 300ml of cows milk daily until they are 2. But this includes cheese and yogurt. Check the nhs guidelines though as I'm not sure.

MummyPig24 Sat 30-Mar-13 20:09:01

Ds decided at 10 months that he wasn't having a bottle anymore and totally refused, I used to give him porridge for supper before bed just to get some milk into him.

With dd, a few days after her 1st birthday we ran out of formula so she had cows milk in a bottle for a week. Went well so we ditched the bottle. She hasn't drink milk since!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now