Ranitidine users -some questions re poo and other stuff

(5 Posts)
Twattybollocks Thu 28-Mar-13 07:13:23

Dd started on ranitidine day before yesterday. She did a normal poo about 8 hours after her first dose, it was mostly liquid with seeds, the liquid being golden brown and slightly slimy as usual. She has only pood once since then, early hours of this morning, and it was much less liquid, more pasty with seeds. Also, we didn't have the 2 hours of grunting and straining beforehand, I didn't even know she had done it until I changed her before her next feed. Also, she is still being sick a fair bit, but doesn't seem to be in as much discomfort from it and is sleeping a lot more settled, I can actually put her down in her swing seat to sleep! Can I assume these are all positive effects from the ranitidine/lack of acid? I was a bit worried about the sleep thing, but when she's awake, she is smiling and alert and happy enough in herself, feeding well etc.

stargirl1701 Thu 28-Mar-13 10:52:03

I didn't see any change in poo on Ranitidine. I found it worked initially but it's effectiveness wore off through time, despite increasing the dose to account for weight gain.

DD was never that sick as such. Maybe you need domperidome (sp?) too to control the vomit?

Twattybollocks Thu 28-Mar-13 11:00:40

Well she hasn't actually been sick at all for the last 2 feeds, so fx it's helping that too

minipie Thu 28-Mar-13 15:00:24

dd has been off and on ranitidine a number of times, never seen any changes in poo. But yes it does stop it hurting her when she is sick or does a sicky burp.

narmada Thu 28-Mar-13 22:01:58

I saw changes in DS's poo in ranitidine, but it was the other way - he went more often and it was runnier.

Re the 'slimy' poo - does it seem to have mucus in it? Cos if so, cow's milk protein intolerance might be an issue. Its not a woo 'inrolerance' by the way ( which is what I initially thought when someone mentioned it to me re. my DS...), is widely accepted as an actual condition by paeds.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now