bottle feeding

(7 Posts)
swhite Wed 27-Mar-13 12:45:24

After being bottle and breast fed from birth to 3 months my 3 month old has started refusing bottles of EBM and soya formula. He screams at the sight of the bottle whether being fed by g parents or my partner. Any advice? The HV suggested a doidy cup.

Thanks

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 27-Mar-13 13:31:43

Think its quite common to start refusing bottles and you can see his reasoning, a bottle or a milk and a cuddle with you, its a no brainier as far as he's concerned.

Your HV might have a point. If he has to have other milk, have a look at alternative feeding methods. If you search the Mn archive there will be lots of old threads on bottle refusal and if you ring one of the bfing helplines the BFC might be able to offer some suggestions smile

ToThreeOrNotToThree Wed 27-Mar-13 13:34:58

Bottle refusing is pretty common. Just as breast refusing happens quite a lot. It can be one of the challenges of mixed feeding - they pick one they prefer!

I presume that there is a reason he's on soya formula? Are there any underlying health issues that might also help people understand the bottle refusing?

swhite Wed 27-Mar-13 18:33:05

Hi thanks for this advice - I'll also call BFC as hadn't thought of that. No health problems, we have eczema on both sides of the family so wanted to keep him off cows milk formula - he's BF or EBM fed 95 % of time, the only time we have used soya is if my EBM stores have run out and I've been away.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 27-Mar-13 20:06:16

We both have eczema and I have asthma and hay fever too. Both my DC ae fine with cows milk, I'm not, but I thought that soya formula should only be given on the advice of a GP or Paed?

ToThreeOrNotToThree Wed 27-Mar-13 21:02:04

Yes, I thought soy had some potential downsides that meant you should only use it on doctor's advice?

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 27-Mar-13 21:09:28

There's some info on allergies and feeding on the allergy uk website. You may want to discuss the formula with your GP, when you can get your Lo to drink it of course smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now