How long to give FF in a bottle with teat?

(4 Posts)
milkwagon Tue 26-Mar-13 20:04:34

As the title says really. 7mo DD is given 3-4 formula feeds a day using a bottle & teat. She is given sips of water from a Doidy cup at mealtimes and gets on well with it. How do you make the transition from a bottle/teat - and at what age? And, what do you use instead?

Sirzy Tue 26-Mar-13 20:07:15

I didn't bother, DS would only take it from a bottle so i left him with a bottle. When he was 18 months he decided himself he no longer needed the bottle (and refused any milk from then onwards!)

Shybairns Tue 26-Mar-13 20:14:27

I would carry on using the bottles for all milk feeds untill she is having 3 proper meals a day.

You might like to keep giving bottles if she's having milk before sleeps? Just for the comfort that sucking gives. And then swap the milk that she has in waking times for a sippy cup. The very basic Tommee Tippee cups are popular.

Eventually as nap times shuffle around she may not need the comfort element to the milk and also she may not be so interested in the milk at all and at that time you can give her milk in the sippy cup.

My DD went from bf to sippy cup gradually from about 9mths.

My DS who had bottles kept his bed time bottle till he was 2!

Hope that makes sense?

milkwagon Tue 26-Mar-13 21:51:59

Thanks folks.x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now