Restarting BF at 4 months?

(79 Posts)
Puddlelane Mon 25-Mar-13 08:02:37

Ok bear with me here.
I have a 4 month old dairy free formula baby.
Currently it was thought he may have silent reflux which infant gaviscon...it's not really made any difference. He was never sicky or cried after feeds just very mucusy.
So I am now at the stage where we are going to ask to change his formula to neocate to see if it's the
Milk. He is thriving, putting on weight and meeting milestones.
Due to reasons I would rather not get into right now I breastfed for not very long then was moved over to dairy free formula due to history of previous children under medical advice etc.

Could I restart breastfeeding at this stage? I would give him formula until I have milk obviously. Google leads me to believe its possible but google isn't always right!
Am I mad? I really want to do this for him. I'm dairy free anyhow!
Please be gentle I really don't want a bun fight or to be attacked due to decisions that have been made re formula.

Crocodilehunter Tue 07-May-13 22:52:29

Any updates puddle?

adagio Fri 26-Apr-13 09:46:28

Not sure if anyone has mentioned hormones - I was told by my lactation consultant that pro lactin surges in the night between about 3am and 5am, which is why tiny newborns are so eager to feed all night - so it may be that expressing/skin to skin at that ungodly hour may be more effective?

featherbag Fri 26-Apr-13 09:23:40

How's it going Puddle? I still have that domperidone if you decide you want it.

DeputyDeputyChiefOfStaff Tue 23-Apr-13 11:25:15

I hope it's more comfortable now. Sounds like you're doing a great job!

featherbag Tue 23-Apr-13 08:59:48

Puddle,I think I have some domperidone left over from when DS was little and I was trying to get my supply back up, if you want to pm me your address I'll gladly post you whatever I can find, today? Don't worry if you don't want to give me your address though, I won't be offended, I know I'm a random on the Internet!

Puddlelane Tue 23-Apr-13 08:46:23

Still pumping smile

DeputyDeputyChiefOfStaff Mon 22-Apr-13 14:09:10

How are you, OP?

WouldBeHarrietVane Sat 20-Apr-13 12:37:44

This story might be inspiring - about someone who pumped after her baby wouldn't take the breast and then managed to get baby latching on at 5 months:

www.lalecheleague.org/nb/nbmayjun08p22.html

HerrenaHarridan Sat 20-Apr-13 12:22:17

Oh puddle, it'll be ok! Can you afford to do a week on the tabs, you shouldn't need to keep taking them once your going.
I'm sorry your gp is being so unhelpful!

Have you tried squeezing out a drop so your nipple tastes like milk then offering.

I'm going to ask the support group here and see if a can find any more good advice.

WouldBeHarrietVane Sat 20-Apr-13 12:22:04

Fennel tea and oatmeal and both natural galactagogues, so drinking fennel tea and eating porridge for breakfast may help.

MsJupiterJones Sat 20-Apr-13 07:47:43

I bought Fenugreek from Amazon when I was trying to increase my supply, really noticed a difference but you have to take a lot (2-3 capsules 3x a day). If you smell like maple syrup curry that's a good thing as it shows it's working!

VictoriaPlum01 Fri 19-Apr-13 23:37:31

Have you looked to see if you can buy domperidone online (Motillium) - it's an over-the-counter medicine now, I don't think you need a prescription. (I am not a Dr or medical professional, just to be clear, merely making a suggestion of something you could investigate...).

I'd also really rate the support from the Breastfeeding Network - perhaps they have someone closer to you than LLL?

Well done for getting a drop of milk out though - that's fab news.

Yodeleeiay Fri 19-Apr-13 18:43:54

What a lovely thing to do for your baby! If you got a drop of milk already maybe you can get more without the domperidone..?

I have no idea if it's actually effective, but here in Germany the MWs and hospitals give new mothers loads of fennel tea (or fennel& cumin& aniseed mix) to increase milk production. I used to drink pints each day. (They also said it was good for babies' tummies - wind, colic etc.) Also they were very aware of things that (they thought) would decrease milk production, so no peppermint tea or sage.

When the contaminated formula milk scandal hit China a few years ago the WHO advised mothers to relacte, so they at least think it can be done with older babies.

Agree with Deupty that hand expressing with no pump is much gentler.

And don't beat yourself up if it just doesn't work - at least you tried!

Puddlelane Fri 19-Apr-13 18:42:50

Thanks for the hand expressing link.

Puddlelane Fri 19-Apr-13 18:42:06

Me neither!
Will it work without the drugs or am I kidding myself?
I don't know if Fenugreek works in the same way?
I think I will continue pumping and pump through the night.
Every 3 hours.

DeputyDeputyChiefOfStaff Fri 19-Apr-13 18:27:44

X-posted re: the domperidone - didn't realise it was so expensive shock

DeputyDeputyChiefOfStaff Fri 19-Apr-13 18:26:02

Ouch, sorry to hear about the cracked nipple sad I'm wondering too if it's rubbing against the pump. You could try hand expressing (I.e. no pump), which could be more gentle and is more under your control. This link might help - www.unicef.org.uk/BabyFriendly/Resources/AudioVideo/Hand-expression/

Sorry too that your GP isn't more supportive. Is there anyone else in the practice who might be? Or a pro-bf mw or HV (I know you said that yours isn't) who might have a word?

It sounds as if you still want to give this a go, and it's early days yet - having no milk right now doesn't mean that it's not working.

Puddlelane Fri 19-Apr-13 18:25:41

Thanks sands smile

Puddlelane Fri 19-Apr-13 18:24:45

NCT lady suggested domperidone and keep pumping.
I just didn't realise I needed 9 a day!
I'm doing 45 mins skin to skin then pumping.
It doesn't seem too likely to work without the drugs and I can't spend that much a week. It would cripple me.

SingingSands Fri 19-Apr-13 18:20:20

Hi Puddle, I just wanted to share something with you, but gently so as not to cause upset. My friends dd had awful reflux and she was entirely breastfed. Just wanted to make you aware that breastfeeding does not guarantee a reflux free feeder. So please don't beat yourself up if you don't manage to relactate, you are giving it a really good try.

midori1999 Fri 19-Apr-13 18:12:59

I think lots of skin to skin would help too,.

midori1999 Fri 19-Apr-13 18:12:14

Way a pity your GP practice aren't more supportive. Could you maybe try with a hospital grade pump but no domperidone for now? What did the NCT lady suggest?

Puddlelane Fri 19-Apr-13 17:53:49

Spoke to a lovely nct BF councillor she was great.
It's unlikely that I will get domperidone prescribed and at £5 a day I need to talk to DH. I so want to do this but the doctors at my surgery will just back up the HV- have already spoken to the practice manager.
To say I'm devastated is an understatement.
I just wish I had the support after the birth. I don't know where I go from here I can't spend that much I don't have it to spend!
I don't know what to do now other than cry.

midori1999 Fri 19-Apr-13 12:16:28

A double one would make things much easier for you I think, even if it was just to start with. The Ameda do different sized flanges for theirs, so you can use one to fit your breast/nipple size, not sure about others.

It's a shame LLL are so far away. Could you get access to a IBCLC? Some are private but some also work within the NHS.

www.lcgb.org/

Or does your local hospital have a good feeding advisor/lactation consultant/breastfeeding counsellor? I have found from personal experience that they do vary, but usually if they don't have the information or help you need they will point you in the right direction.

Well done for not letting your HV put you off something that you want to do. She is wrong, but you know that. smile

Puddlelane Fri 19-Apr-13 09:55:24

I think it's my technique. I really need someone to come to me and help me!
LLL are not in my area- well about 45 miles away.
Waiting on a call back from them.

I have a tommee tippee electric pump, I need a double hospital one don't I?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now