Can a bf 9m old partially-weaned baby be left for 18 hours with just water and food?

(31 Posts)

What would be the best way of doing this?

If it was less time I would just give the odd cows milk substitute.

The problem is made worse by the fact that on Monday I am leaving him for 12 hours with no milk, and then following that with Tuesday for 18 hours.

WWYD?

Softlysoftly Mon 25-Mar-13 08:23:01

Hmmm that's how dd1 was I thought dd2 had dropped day milk a little fast. She feeds herself too. ....

We have no routine tbh. BFing is always the back-up/main food.

Some time in the morning he'll have oats spooned down his throat. At dinner he'll just have bits from our plates.

In the middle of the day he might have a pouch of something or the dinner from the night before blended, but lunch might get forgotten altogether depending on what we are doing.

Softlysoftly Sun 24-Mar-13 21:38:14

Out of interest what does he eat/drink in the day as I worry dd2 had basically dropped all day feeds other than a swift one at 2.

She has weetabix and fruit for bfast, snack at 11, eg eggs/cheese & toast and fruit for lunch. Bf at 2 or snack if not with me, HUGE cooked tea and yoghurt at 5 then ff to bed and bf sporadically through the night. Water with and between every meal yet she's still constipated sad

Softlysoftly Sun 24-Mar-13 21:33:14

Girl 6 months is a world away from 9 months as they usually aren't consuming enough solid food to make the difference.

You'll need to get formula!

He's never had a bottle so wouldn't know what to do with it, but drinks from a free-flow cup. He'll drink water (and spit it out and laugh too hmm).

GirlOutNumbered Sun 24-Mar-13 21:31:17

Well, I will BF him before I leave about 9 and hope to be back by 3 Maja, so not a full day.

I cosleep so happy to feed through the night.

birdofthenorth Sun 24-Mar-13 21:31:14

DD was ebf and refused cows milk, but would at 10 months eventually have Aptimil or similar. It didn't kill do her any harm, contrary to my irrational fears, and meant she was much calmer and fuller for DH/ GPs on rare occasions she had to be left for long periods. After hours and hours without milk hunger overcame fussiness about the origin of the milk! Formula tastes much more like breast milk. I would get DH to a supermarket tomorrow, try some premixed bottles if easiest, and get a couple of different cups and bottles to try him on. I think 18 hours with no milk at 9 months is best avoided unless told so by a doctor due to I'll health etc (though obviously nothing terrible will happen, he might just be peckish and grumpy! Yoghurt, porridge etc a good alternative if all milk fails).

Softlysoftly Sun 24-Mar-13 21:30:20

Dd2 is 10 months and I've just gone back to work, even though she has a ff off me at 7pm she refuses to drink it for anyone else, she clearly thinks they are trying to poison her hmm.

My point being she goes all day on water and food if I'm not there, downside she still bfs 2-3 hundred times at night. You'll be fine.

MajaBiene Sun 24-Mar-13 21:29:16

A 6 month old is going to need some kind of milk for a day Girl.

MajaBiene Sun 24-Mar-13 21:28:33

I had loads of trouble getting DS to drink cow's milk once I stopped breastfeeding (he was a bit older than 9 months though) and sweetened cow's milk/cocoa was necessary for a while blush

Thanks everyone. Hope he'll be okay.

It's actually a babysitter that will be dealing with him at the end as my dh will be having him for 2 days but then meeting me at the end of the second hmm and goodness knows what the babysitter will do with him.

GirlOutNumbered Sun 24-Mar-13 21:27:50

I'm glad you posted this, I am leaving 6.5 month old tomorrow for the day, with no milk.
I did express a pot and knocked it over!!!!!

My mum is coming, I am scared about telling her there is no milk, but am feeling a bit reassured that he is not going to implode by not having any.

Chocolate milk. Blimey. He won't want me back grin

For breakfast he has oats with milk and banana or apple usually.

Ah good idea about the yoghurts. Yep. That should work well. Especially the stupid baby sugary ones.

No. I can't express whilst feeding because I hand express (pumps get zilch) and I need two hands to do it so can't hold a baby.

MajaBiene Sun 24-Mar-13 21:22:53

I could never express either. Will your DS eat porridge or weetabix for breakfast? You can make that up with 100ml of milk. Offer milk in a cup, even cocoa/chocolate milk will be fine for a day.

ChippingInIsEggceptional Sun 24-Mar-13 21:22:22

Get DH to buy a couple of aptamil ready made cartons, DS will either drink it or not. He wont come to any harm at all if he just has water & 'food'. Some babies wean themselves before 9m & refuse any substitutes - 18 hours is not going to hurt him one bit! <might hurt DH's ears - so make sure DH knows what DS's current favourite snacks are!>

Kveta Sun 24-Mar-13 21:21:42

can you try expressing whilst he is feeding on the other side - I don't get much when expressing normally, but found I got more when DD was feeding.

Kveta Sun 24-Mar-13 21:20:46

I think it will be fine - but I'd make sure there is a lot of yoghurt/cheese in his diet those days, and maybe try to express a bit anyway, so he does have some milk available to him. And leave some cartons of formula just in case. He will live. the person looking after him might suffer a bit though grin

Yes bfing. I would need at least a week to express even half a cup I'm sure.

Oh right. DH can try formula then. He'll have to go out tomorrow and find some.

DS has never had bottles but drinks water out of a cup so that should be okay.

Boggler Sun 24-Mar-13 21:18:42

Are you bf? If so why don't you express so he can have some in a cup or a bottle? It's an awfully long time with no milk and he may not have enough calories from his food to see him through 12 or 18 hours.

There is just no way that between now and 6'oclock tomorrow morning when I first leave I can get anything like he drinks.

It takes about 20 minuts to get about 5ml and by then my arms are aching.

I don't like formula for many reasons but I wouldn't be adverse to it, though I'm not sure it is any different to cows milk in that ds won't know what the frig dh is trying to make him drink grin

milkwagon Sun 24-Mar-13 21:17:49

X post......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now