Worried about colostrum

(28 Posts)
steakchipsandfriedeggs Sun 24-Mar-13 18:45:43

I have decided that I don't wish to BF from birth for personal reasons (please don't judge, I have really agonised over this). In a perfect world, I would ideally combine expressed milk with formula, however I really don't know whether this will happen.

My DH would have liked me to BF but understands my situation and is being very supportive. He would like to know that his PFB is receiving colostrum if at all possible. He totally understands how I can't bring myself to do this in the conventional way, however I would also like to at least try to ensure my baby gets this.

As a rather clueless first time mum, can anyone give me any advice with this? Can I express colostrum? I really have no idea. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Ps, I know a lot of people will just say that i should just BF and stop being selfish. This won't be helpful to me as I really do have my reasons for not doing so, but I do want to be the best mum I possibly can. I haven't come to this decision lightly, I think about it every day hmm thank you.

forbetterorworsted Tue 09-Apr-13 09:25:16

You sound like an amazing mum already, by the way. Whatever you decide, your baby will be so loved and that is the most important thing.

HenD19 Tue 09-Apr-13 09:30:34

I really wouldn't worry about being exposed in labour as don't think you'll care once you're in agony. Don't think you'll be able to avoid examinations either I'm afraid. Sounds like a good plan to express colostrum and see how you get on. Hope all goes well.

JoulesM Tue 09-Apr-13 09:39:58

It might sound silly but I had a home birth with a pool for labour for my second and felt much less naked and exposed than I did with my first hospital birth. The fact I was at home meant I wasn't scared about random people walking in and the midwife had visited me at home from 30 weeks onwards so I felt like I knew her (although she was stunning so I was somewhat scared to bare my huge arse when I got into the pool!). The pool also meant I could hug into the side so apart from the times she stood behind to have a look (from a distance) I didn't feel exposed at all! Being in the pool also minimises internal examinations as midwives who do them a lot are good at reading the signs (breathing, pace and pattern of contractions) as they know how much of a hassle it would be to make you get out of the pool!

I would try not to worry too much, you might find that the primal part of you takes over and you are completely fine! Good luck smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now