EBF DD doesn't sleep. Formula?

(31 Posts)
NotSoNervous Sun 24-Mar-13 09:10:56

I have a 5m old DD1. She is EBF but has had formula twice before in emergencies. Since she was a newborn she has never slept much in the day and less at night and she would want feeding between every 1-2 hours.

At about 3m old she started going longer at night and would sometimes go up to 5 hours which was amazing, but this only lasted 2 weeks and one were back to every 2 hours on the dot sad

The thing is now I'm really starting to struggle with getting up, I just feel shattered all the time. When I feed her during the night, ill tickle her feet, blow her onto her face, wind her and try to just wake her up abit more then latch her on again hoping she will have a good feed and sleep longer but within at least 2 dummy sucks she's sound asleep again. I did use to try and change her nappy in the night but that never worked either.

DP keeps telling me to give her FF because people have told him she will go longer at night but I've been saying no shell sleep when she's ready but now I'm getting desperate. When she's had a bottle of FF she has seemed to go longer between her next feed but I'm not sure if this is a coincident.

Should I give a bottle of FF before bed and hope for the some sleep or does anyone have any other great ideas? Thanks

NotSoNervous Mon 25-Mar-13 12:40:09

I'm reading it now jilted. My DD only cat naps in the day and I'm lucky if she has 3 20min naps.

MajaBiene Mon 25-Mar-13 13:01:34

You need a run of days and a supportive partner to really get stuck into changing sleeping habits I think - I did similar at about the same age and DP dealt with night wakings in between feed times (I did 11pm and 3am in the night, still demand fed 2hrly-ish in the day) with cuddles and a dummy. It took a few nights but DS went from waking every 45 minutes to just waking for feeds really, and occasionally needing his dummy back in between.

I also stopped feeding to sleep though - if they are used to being fed to sleep at bed time you can't really expect them to get themselves to sleep without a boob in the night imo.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 25-Mar-13 13:24:03

I'm reading it now jilted. My DD only cat naps in the day and I'm lucky if she has 3 20min naps.. I think the key to all this is just that, she's overtired. Mine always, always slept much better if they had napped well.

See if your library has got the the No Cry Nap Solution.

NotSoNervous Mon 25-Mar-13 16:19:45

Ill check that in e library tomorrow jilted, thank you.

Maja DD only feeds to sleep at night, not during the day.

JiltedJohnsJulie Mon 25-Mar-13 16:22:34

Personally I don't think feeding to sleep was a big issue for us, both outgrew it without being forced.

MajaBiene Mon 25-Mar-13 16:26:55

Feeding to sleep became an issue for me when DS wouldn't go back to sleep without it! If he hadn't needed a boob every 45 minutes in the night then the bedtime feed wouldn't have been too much of a problem. Though funnily enough I continued feeding to sleep for naps for ages and that was fine.

How does she get to sleep at bedtime?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now