Should I still breastfeed a 2 yr old who has D&V bug? Dr says no.

(35 Posts)
OPeaches Fri 08-Mar-13 16:48:01

Is he right? DD is a week away from turning two and usually just has one feed a day. She's had D&V bug for three days and is keeping very lite down, but does want to breastfeed. GP said not to give her milk, including breast milk, because the lactose makes them throw up. I always thought to keep on feeding, that's certainly what I did when she was younger.

Anyone know?

BeaWheesht Fri 08-Mar-13 20:45:10

Keep feeding

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 08-Mar-13 21:02:02

How is she now peaches ?

I hope your LO is better peaches. If not, I will reiterate what everyone else has said. My HCPs say that BM counts as a 'clear fluid' for the purposes of D and V.

mathanxiety Sat 09-Mar-13 04:38:45

Doctor is wrong.

Are you trying her with re-hydrating drinks (sports, etc., not flat 7up or other sugary beverages)?

GardenPath Sat 09-Mar-13 04:57:09

Your tits know what's best - if babs finds it a comfort to bf, let her. Even if she pukes it up and out the other end. With a D&V bug, thank God you're still bf-ing - if you'd weaned her by now she certainly wouldn't want food.

OPeaches Sat 09-Mar-13 07:32:17

She's a bit better this morning. Had a huge BF over an hour ago and hasn't thrown it up . . . yet. No sickness or diahorrea since 8pm, feels like a but of a miracle.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 09-Mar-13 08:27:41

So glad you have ignored the advice of your GP and she has turned a corner smile

Keep feeding, it will keep her hydrated at least.

Hope she's feeling better soon.

Pandasandmonkeys Sun 10-Mar-13 05:20:42

Yes please feed!! I was told the same and as a ftm I took the advice and did as I was told. After 12 hours of watching DS suffering and an actual row with the nurse on duty who didn't want me to feed , I checked the UNICEF and WHO guidelines -both say continue feeding through a d and v bug except in very exceptional circumstances - I fed him and within a few hours he was on the mend.

WantAnOrange Sun 10-Mar-13 07:44:48

I think this is daft advice. DD had a tummy bug at 4 months, of course I carried on bf, what else would you do if your DC hadnt weaned? Let them starve?

Glad your LO is on the mend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now