Feeding issues with 8 month old Dd. Is there anyone around who can help?

(16 Posts)
McPheetStink Fri 08-Mar-13 16:01:23

Over the last week, Dd has started refusing feeds during the day. It's becoming a real problem now, because she's wanting to feed so much during the night, and I'm shattered. Basically, she arches her back, pulls away and gets really upset if I offer her the boob.

She's eating well during the day, but I am worried that she's not getting enough milk/fluid.

Can anyone offer up any suggestions as to why this might be happening please. I'm happy to beg wink

<props eyes open>

NippyDrips Fri 08-Mar-13 16:04:15

Could you try feeding lying in the bedroom? This worked for ds when he was being distracted.

McPheetStink Fri 08-Mar-13 16:06:21

We normally feed upstairs on the bed. But she just gets really cross confused

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 08-Mar-13 16:47:17

Are you offering the milk an hour before solids? Have you tried cutting down on the solids too, say only offering 2meals a day or if you are offering 2 courses, only offer one?

Have you read this on reverse cycling too?

McPheetStink Fri 08-Mar-13 19:22:04

Yes, normally she has breakfast around 7am, then I offer around 10ish, before lunch at 12. Same kind of pattern in the afternoon. She screams when her main course is finished so I automatically reach for fruit or yoghurt. Maybe tomorrow, I'll try cutting back a bit. As mums, I think we're programmed to feed until full blush

It's a recent thing, this refusal business. Surely she can't go all day without fluids?

I'll take a look at the link. Thank you

McPheetStink Fri 08-Mar-13 20:56:24

JiltedJohnsJulie Sat 09-Mar-13 08:26:50

She can go all day without fluids if she's taking them at night. I'd stick to the one course at lunch and dinner for a bit and try to treat the day times like a nursing strike, plenty of body contact, quiet times together, skin to skin if you can and even take a bath together.

Lonelybunny Sat 09-Mar-13 08:41:14

I've been getting similar from my 7mo. She will feed at 7 she used to feed from both sides now she feeds from only one. She feeds at 7am, 10 am , 12ish , 2is then she will go all the way from 2pm till 10 pm ? And I went out from 2 tell 7pm yesterday and she didnt even touch the bottle of eBM I left for her , yet I brought KFC - long day and she virtually jumped in the box ! But my LO doesn't actually get a lot of food in but I'm gussing he tummy is still small so she probably getting something. She has a few Cheerios or toast at 9.30 we don't usually do lunch as she naps then , then we have dinner at 6pm she has whatever we have as she is BLW and a yogurt.
She also feeds quite a bit in the night , I find co-sleeping helps a bit .

McPheetStink Sat 09-Mar-13 16:37:42

Still nothing.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 10-Mar-13 07:05:35

I'd ring one of the bfing helplines and talk to a BFC. She might have a few suggestions smile

McPheetStink Sun 10-Mar-13 07:22:34

I'm hoping to see one tomorrow.

Last night she fed 4 times between 11.30 and 3.30am. I'm knackered. Yet this morning, when I offered her a feed she literally threw a paddy.

It's almost like she panics. Yet when she's drousy she's feeding beautifully. The only thing I've been able to think of is, she bit me a few times and I yelped. Could this be a factor confused

Thumbtack Sun 10-Mar-13 07:27:53

Hiya, my 5mo DS is doing exactly the same thing at the moment - during the day he arches his back, and really fights and screams but during the night is fine . . . what ive done is put him in the harness during the day and feed him upright and walking around - it looks funny but it gets the milk in to him no problem - do you have a sling or carrier?

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 10-Mar-13 07:28:20

Really don't know sorry McPheet. Hopefully someone will be along soon who has training or experience.

McPheetStink Sun 10-Mar-13 07:46:42

Unfortunately I haven't, Thumbtack. I used to, but sold it because it pulled my back too much and I found it painful.

I'm just at a complete loss, and really need this sorted.

Yesterday, I tried cutting back on her solids, but it still made no difference confused

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 10-Mar-13 07:55:51

Hope it does get resolved for you soon. Here are the numbers for the bfing helplines]].

McPheetStink Mon 11-Mar-13 12:13:05

Thank you

We're seeing a breastfeeding support worker this afternoon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now