Nipple Bleb/blister pls help!!!

(21 Posts)
Lulita13 Fri 08-Mar-13 14:53:50

Have a 9 wk old baby, bresfeeding...suffered from trush since birth, now seems to have settled, now suffering from nipple blisters/bleb (little white blister/spot in left nipple) about 3 wks. Have followed all the advice i.e warm bath/shower, compresses, expressing, feeding on that side 1st, different positions, tried to remove it finger nail,popping the blister with a needle...it still there and its very painful!!! Help!x

Haywire Fri 08-Mar-13 16:15:13

I had this posted thread on it recently I tried everything just like you ended up making it bleedhmm, I decided to stop doing anything except warm bath/ compress as felt I was trying too many things and within a few days it has stopped hurting and think it is almost gone. I could not believe something so tiny could feel so painful so sending you much sympathy from me it made me really miserable

meebles Sat 09-Mar-13 18:29:34

I had one of these recently and it was suggested to me to try olive oil on cotton wool to soften the skin, and also gravity feeding after a nice warm bath - basically dangling the boob by leaning over DS and letting gravity help. I'm not sure what helped but something did and I'm so glad not to have the sharp daggers in my boob everytime he latches on!

Lulita13 Sun 10-Mar-13 16:59:51

Thank you-have tried all of the above and the olive oil thing and nothing...think I'll stop popping it, because it just bleeds and it's more painful....was advised by the breastfeeding counselor to try lecithin tablets once a day, will see if that helps....if anyone has anymore suggestion pls let me know,I am in so much pain.xx

Lulita13 Sun 10-Mar-13 18:46:19

Haywire, did you have several warm baths and compresses during the day? if so, how many? I tend to have a warm shower in the morning which helps, but by late afternoon the pain is back, haven't done warm compresses for a while now, as no difference was noted-this is ongoing for 3 weeks now.

Haywire Sun 10-Mar-13 19:22:26

I had 1 hot bath for a few days and just applied a warm flannel through the day before feeding as often as I could. Tried to mix positions and feed from that side first not sure why worked in end. I phoned bfn helpline in desperation and they suggested nipple shields but not sure person I spoke to had much idea what I could do other than all the things already suggested/tried. Good luck in finding a solution it's agony I know and just when I was feeling despair at finding a solution it resolved!

KelleStar Sun 10-Mar-13 19:38:09

mine never seemed to resolve itself over the 18 months I fed DD, when it came back a hot shower, compress and feeding off the problem nip first would help after a few days.

I avoided popping it and just let the compress do it's work, once it came to a head it was easier for it to drain. I can't remember if the times when I didn't pop it, led to it being resolved for longer periods. DD only got her first teeth at 13 months, so it wasn't related to that as I'd had them for months before hand.

Am expecting DC2 in 5 weeks time. I am worried about the bleb returning.

Lulita13 Mon 11-Mar-13 06:29:44

Well Gp thinks it's thrush and told me to carry on applying thrush cream, of course we know it's not, so just ignored him. Hoping the lecithin tablets together with heat therapy will do the trick....
KelleStar, you might be ok this time, will let you know if it works and you can try the tablets even without the bleb (to avoid it),I know it's good for blocked ducts, so maybe....x

CelticPromise Mon 11-Mar-13 13:06:55

I also got the olive oil advice- put some on cotton wool and leave it in your bra for a few hours, might soften it enough to disappear. Hope it goes.

Lulita13 Fri 15-Mar-13 04:09:16

So, it's 4 am, in so much pain can't sleep-tried all of the things suggested, no joy :-( any more suggestions pls? Feel very depressed :-( maybe I should stop bf... :-(

CelticPromise Fri 15-Mar-13 07:33:45

Ah Lulita those 4am moments are awful. Hope you have had a bit of sleep. Can you get real life advice? Is there a local BF group you can try today? Sounds like it would be best if someone who knows their stuff has a look. Have you ever managed to clear it at all? Can you feel milk backing up anywhere?

I really feel for you, the pain is awful. If you do want to give up you could feed on one side only while you try to get it sorted.

Lulita13 Fri 15-Mar-13 08:29:06

Celticpromise, thanks had some paracetamol and some sleep, but feel really down....had advice from bf counselor who told me take lecithin tables, which I have been doing...no bf support group today maybe Monday...midwife never heard of (referred to bf counselor) and health visitor (nursery nurse) didn't seemed to know much, and also said that heard that needs popping it...never had all cleared, it has always been there, it just bleeds when I pop it and hurts a lot...maybe will feed only from that side and hopefully it will clear out and express from the other.... :-(

CelticPromise Fri 15-Mar-13 09:18:54

You sound so low, I really feel for you. I only had mine for a few days but it was agonising. If there's no group today you could try one of the BF helplines? They are usually staffed by very knowledgeable people. Do you have any means of getting back in touch with the BF counsellor in case she has other ideas? Expressing definitely a good idea if you can't bear to feed on that side.

Could it have developed some dry skin over it do you think? Maybe try lansinoh over a couple of days to stop it hardening again? Does any milk come out when you pop it? Mine had a load of hardened milk behind it and the relief when it came out was amazing. Gross though!

I really hope you get it sorted. It's such a horrid thing.

CelticPromise Fri 15-Mar-13 09:19:42

Oh also, if it's inflamed ibuprofen might be effective on the pain.

leedy Fri 15-Mar-13 10:09:39

Was going to recommend ibuprofen as well, found it much better for the pain and also helped get the inflammation down/help it unblock. Really hope it's better soon, OP. That and lecithin and really hot compresses before feeds and massaging towards the blockage in a hot shower finally popped mine.

Mine was also both gross and an enormous relief when it popped - a little hard stringy thing came out and then I sprayed milk all over the shower.

Lulita13 Fri 15-Mar-13 11:29:59

Ohh thanks girls....really can't wait for it to get sorted...trying to get in contact with bf counselor and still doing all the things you guys suggested...will try Ibuprofen...I think that maybe skin has overgrown on top of it, which doesn't make it easy to pop I suppose...

MacMac123 Sat 16-Mar-13 07:42:16

I had one for about 8 weeks, it was agonising. I always thought mine was related to a blocked duct as i could feel the pain go from the bleb on the nipple down to a specific place in the boob. I tried everything and my attempt to pierce it just made it much worse. I kept breastfeeding even though at one point the baby rejected that side and it got engorged, was hideous. When i expresed that side, nothing came out, literally made me cry!
I was about to stop breast feeding as couldnt take it anymore, then I woke up one day and realised the pain had gone from it. The bleb stayed for about another 10 days but pain free. It got smaller and smaller and has now GONE!!
So they do go, but I sympathise as it took as long time to go and it was awful. And nothing helped it go but time.

MacMac123 Sat 16-Mar-13 07:44:52

Ps I really wanted to pop it and for that stringy thing to come out as that would have been satisfying but it didn't happen!

Lulita13 Sat 16-Mar-13 14:59:59

Mine doesn't have a head it looks flat and sometimes it feels itchy, like skin is healing on top of it!

MacMac123 Sat 16-Mar-13 20:29:21

Mine definitely had skin grow over it too so it was kind of sealed. I read on forums that it would go eventually, and thank goodness it did!

Lulita13 Sat 16-Mar-13 21:33:34

Thanks MacMac123 feel a bit more reassured x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now