Help me oh Wise Ones - I neeeeed Lemsip.

(7 Posts)
TryDrawing Thu 07-Mar-13 11:10:41

I've been breastfeeding for 18 months and don't plan to give up until dd does.

But I have a cold and I feel wretched . I think my face might fall off.

I've been sucking stupid Jakemans and trying to convince myself that they are really helping.

They are not.

Can I have lemsip? Max? Or is there something I can have that will clear my horribly blocked sinuses?

Here is a page on antihistamines, and here is a page on cough and cold remedies.

Is the big issue blocked sinuses? I find hot compresses (or better still, a gel face pack you can heat up) can work wonders on unblocking them, albeit only temporarily.

The issue with antihistamines is they can drastically reduce supply. How solid is your supply? Have you tended towards over supply or under supply?

Vicks type stuff can really help, too, particularly dissolved in hot water.

IIRC it's the decongestant that can have an effect on milk supply (as they're all about drying things up.)

If it was me, and I was bf a toddler (been there, done that) and I was really miserable, I'd probably take decongestant as a one-off. After 18 months your supply should be well established.

However, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will come along.

Hope you feel better soon.

TryDrawing Thu 07-Mar-13 11:27:23

I can deal with the coughing and sneezing and headache, it's just the blocked sinuses that are really making me whinge.

I've always tended towards undersupply, so i guess i'd better be good and avoid the decongestants. Even though I am sooooooo tempted. Dd has this cold too, so it'd be a rotten time for me to stop supplying milk.

Maybe I should go and make a hot toddy at lunch. I'm at work but it's not like i'm a brain surgeon or a pilot or anything. I'm fairly sure I can do my job acceptably after a large shot of whiskey.

I will try and find some sort of warm compress, too.

NomNomDePlum Thu 07-Mar-13 11:33:45

go to the pharmacy and buy a sinus rinse if it's your sinuses that are bothering you, it'll clear them at least temporarily. and you can have to ordinary lemsip while breastfeeding, just not the max one.

TryDrawing Thu 07-Mar-13 12:02:22

Thanks for all your help. I'm sure something on here will get me sorted smile

Loislane78 Thu 07-Mar-13 12:14:14

Saline nasal spray
Homemade hot toddy with 2 paracetamol
Head over some steam with Vicks

= Better than Lemsip and I do this when not BF.

Get well soon!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now