Block feeding with blocked duct - advice please!

(6 Posts)
Offcolour Thu 07-Mar-13 09:10:52

I've got a blocked duct following ds's 12 week growth spurt. I can't seem to get him to drain my right side, I think my supply has increased too much. I've got a big tender lump and that pinching feeling when he feeds. I've been massaging it and applying heat etc. I've been mostly feeding from this side to try and empty the breast - but I'm worried this will actually make the supply issues worse. He normally only takes one side at a time. Should I offer each side in turn, even if I've got discomfort in my right side which feels like nursing would relieve?

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 07-Mar-13 09:52:21

Don't know on this one sorry Off, have you tried one of the bfing helplines?

Offcolour Thu 07-Mar-13 11:10:15

Not yet, the other side is tender too so using that too coz don't want a blocked duct there as well. Think the blockage is clearing as feeding v sore!

mumtoboys Thu 07-Mar-13 12:07:22

Make sure you massage towards the centre. Also, keeping your breasts warm is supposed to help so I used wool breast pads when I was blocked. Just keep going and it should clear up. Try to take it easy as well :-)

Offcolour Thu 07-Mar-13 14:08:41

Lump gone now and feeling a lot better! Pain feeding improved too. Still tender but fingers crossed that's it gone. What a pain these clogged ducts are. Thanks for the advice.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 07-Mar-13 14:22:41

Glad it's gone smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now