Any way to get 20 week old to have more milk during day?

(1 Post)
georgyporgie Tue 05-Mar-13 09:19:53

Posted recently as ds has started waking up almost every hour between 1 & 7 when before from the beginning he'd sleep from 7 to 11 (dreamfeed) to 3 to 7. Now he still sleep perfectly between 7-11 but from 1am wakes almost every hour - only wanting food at 1 & 3 though- will suffice with a hug from dh after that bizarrely. I'm breastfeeding him.

Now figured that this might be because he's getting more distracted during the day when he feeds (every 3 hours- 10 min max at each boob which has always been the way) so isn't getting as much. Any suggestions as to how I can encourage him to take more at each feed? I feed him in the nursery, which is free of distractions etc and have tried every 2 hours, but he's just not interested.

I wanted to hold off on weaning as i don't think he's ready (although cramming hands into mouth, plays around with fruit that we leave on his highchair over last few days) - also because milk is far more nutritious for him & filling that weaning him would be at this stage.

My HV etc are useless and there seems to be nowhere that actually gives advice that would help so I really don't know where to turn with this. I realise that it will pass in time (I hope) but it's making him grumpy during the daytime now too.

Obviously I don't advocate a foie-gras approach ( oh I do- I do! But ds isn't liking being the goose in all of this ) but is there anything that might work to encourage more milk taking during day??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now