Newborn night issues, is it too early for a dummy?

(13 Posts)
PetiteRaleuse Fri 08-Mar-13 23:22:43

You can use a dummy if it helps. I the hospital whe mine was born if mum was too ill or tired to look after the baby during the night the mws put them in slings and/or gave them dummies.

You can also pop a hot water bottle in his crib a few minutes before putting him down. Obviously remove it before putting the baby in the crib. It's just to stop them going from your warmth to the cold in the crib and that unsettling them. Was advised that in hospital and regretted not following the advice the first couple of weeks. Jst, I repeat, don't forget to remove it. Baby mustn't overheat.

RoseandVioletCreams Fri 08-Mar-13 23:14:35

Ie what I mean is - they are all curled up in womb and then expected to lie flat and quiet.

I couldnt get on with swaddling, but I am sure it works.

So I propped her up cosy like and it seemed to work a good few times.

RoseandVioletCreams Fri 08-Mar-13 23:13:36

I put mine next to me propped up on a v pillow to get to sleep, a few mins later took pillow away.
Also she seems to like something pushed up agaisnt her face ( !) like a toy even near her face, again moved once asleep.
Also tried a few white noise apps on phone, sometimes worked sometimes not.

tiktok Fri 08-Mar-13 22:58:28

No, a dummy isn't the end of the world....but your baby is only 2 days old and is expressing a normal and healthy desire to be close to you at night, and as these early days are very helpful as a start to happy breastfeeding, maybe you can think of ways to enable you to meet his needs at the moment without actually holding him all night (which is not usually necessary - closeness yes, 100 per cent holding no smile )

GingerDoodle Fri 08-Mar-13 21:09:51

We tried when DD was a newborn but she wouldn't take it for a few weeks. Once she did she was a lot more settled at night. Didn't seem to have any effect of her suck.

noblegiraffe Tue 05-Mar-13 07:25:36

At 2 days old your milk won't have come in yet? It's possible the all night sucking is to encourage that and it might settle down once your milk is here.

AmandinePoulain Tue 05-Mar-13 07:10:49

I used a dummy for dd2 from day (well night!) 2. She just wanted to suck and it saved my sanity! She's still breastfeeding at 6.5 mo with no problems at all smile. She stopped wanting the dummy at around 3 mo and now refuses to sleep without a muslin to suck on hmm grin

Thanks for that, I'll try a few more things first but if not I'm sure a dummy won't be the end of the world.

Ds1 had one and I fed him for the best part of a year and a half.

I wanted to not use a dummy with my first. He got one at about 2 1/2 weeks as he just wanted to suck constantly.

DD 9 weeks I wanted to get to the magic 4 - 6 week mark before she got one. Lasted less than a week. She also likes to suck - even came out with a sucking blister on her arm.

No issues with confusion with either. DD would still rather skin than a dummy, but I need sleep!

AThingInYourLife Tue 05-Mar-13 02:25:19

I used a soother with my 3 in the very early days and I swear by it.

Had no effect on breastfeeding.

No long term soother use either.

I only offered it at night to stop persistent, non-feeding sucking that seemed to unsettle them.

Once they could suck own appendages soother became redundant.

I really don't get the resistance to using them.

Newborn babies lose their ability to suck their thumbs that they had in utero.

Non-milk sucking seems to be something some of them like a lot a d find soothing.

BadgerFace Tue 05-Mar-13 02:15:04

Most of the books say don't introduce a dummy until 4 weeks. Have you tried giving him your finger to suck to help him settle to sleep? Swaddling and white noise can also help them settle and sleep for longer.

That is my very limited 8 week experience and reading. Good luck!

munchkinmaster Tue 05-Mar-13 02:12:36

We have into dummy in first couple of weeks. Fed fine was a miracle at the time but are now slaves to it. I'd persevere

My newborn is about two days old. We're cracking on with feeding but he won't go in his basket at night as he starts routing around and unsettles himself after a feed.

I can cope with broken nights, but I can't hold him all night as I have a toddler as well. I used a dummy with my first and fed fine, but that was after a few weeks of exclusive feeding.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now