Stopped breast feeding but my boobs are massively engorged day 6 - help

(10 Posts)
carries Sun 03-Mar-13 22:07:10

This is DC3. But bf was not working for us, so stopped day 4 but was planning to express for a while. But now dy 6, I've given up on that idea. What have you done to get rid of your milk? Thought I could just rid it out with PK. But they are rock solid.

MolotovCocktail Mon 04-Mar-13 10:12:31

You need to wear a firm, well-fitting, supportive bra day and night. You might want to but some breast pads in to absorb any milk leaks. Try not to touch your breasts whilst you're waiting for the milk to go, as any stimulation can make this take longer. Also, when showering, make sure that your back is facing the water stream, as the jet pressure on your breasts can stimulate milk production.

HTH!

MolotovCocktail Mon 04-Mar-13 10:13:37

Oh, and congratulations on the birth of your baby!!

carries Mon 04-Mar-13 10:30:15

Molotov - that helps a lot. Been wearing bra all the time. But I keep pressing my boobs & I let the shower hit in them to try & relieve the pressure. Thanks for advice & congrats :-)

RightUpMyRue Mon 04-Mar-13 10:36:44

It would be a better idea to express enough to bring relief and avoid blocked ducts and possible mastitis than to try and ignore it.

Don't empty the breast, just take enough off to bring some comfort, trying to take less each time until you don't need to take anymore.

It is possible to take medication to stop production but it's doubtful a GP will prescribe unless you are producing lots of milk.

Have you got a cold coming on? Cold and flu remedies which dry up your nose will dry up your milk too......

MolotovCocktail Mon 04-Mar-13 14:27:22

Personally, I would avoid expressing because even though it might bring relief, it will make the process take longer. You're giving your body mixed-messages, then: make milk or not make milk?

RightUpMyRue Mon 04-Mar-13 14:39:13

It's not really mixed messages though because if the baby were still feeding it would emptying the breasts several times a day and therefore telling them to produce more milk. By just expressing enough to bring relief (we're talking a mils here, not bottles and bottles worth) and help to avoid painful infections like matitis you aren't stimulating the breasts to produce more and more milk but less and less. FIL (Feedback Inhibitor of Lactation) will kick in and stop the breasts producing so much milk. It's essentially the same process just by a gentler, safer method.

Yes it will take slighter longer than by just stopping but it's the more sensible option.

MolotovCocktail Mon 04-Mar-13 15:55:30

It's really up to the OP. My advice is based on what worked for me with both DDs smile

Zara1984 Mon 04-Mar-13 17:15:57

What I did was halfway between Molotov and Right - expressed a wee bit when boobs very very sore.

Hope it dries up quickly for you OP!

Congratulations too smile thanks

carries Tue 05-Mar-13 02:09:58

Thanks ladies. I expressed 20-30ml off each side this am to ease pressure. Much better tonight. Using pk, cabbage leaves & good bra :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now