ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

16mth old - how to drop feeds?

(8 Posts)
sonnyd Wed 06-Mar-13 22:41:24

Hopefully it's just a phase..maybe could be teething? Mine definitely wanted to feed loads more when teething.
I've also been playing the distraction game lots today!

footyfan Mon 04-Mar-13 23:12:50

Hi sonnyd - yes my DS does have cows milk in the day. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to act as a substitute!

I've been trying to cut down the number of feeds in the day today - he's been in pieces crying - so there's been loads of distracting him to try and forget about it!

He won't have anyone but me at night now - when he used to settle better with DH. What fun! Hope you both have a good night.

sonnyd Mon 04-Mar-13 22:29:31

Seems something to do with being a 16 or 17 month old boy!!

Finleymummy and footy fan, do your DS's drink cows milk in the day?
Just tried mine on some today for the first time and he had a couple of sips but didn't look too keen (was probably totally confused as has only had water out of sippy cup!)
Think I'll keep trying as it could help long term in cutting back breastfeeds I guess.

Hope you have good sleep tonight!
X

Mannequinkate Mon 04-Mar-13 11:53:02

You may find it easier to drop day feeds first so that he can learn to get comfort from something else cuddles/stroking head etc

I think it is quite difficult and possibly confusing because they are so tired to refuse at night

Good luck

footyfan Mon 04-Mar-13 11:48:02

Sorry - I'm another one with no advice - just huge sympathy.

I came on to post about my 17-month-old DS who has started to want to feed constantly. He is even worse in the day - won't go 20 mins without pulling at my top.

I don't know why he's regressed to being 6 weeks old! His back teeth do seem like they're coming through as well - so maybe it's that. How long does that go on for?

Hope someone else has some wise words...

finleymummy Mon 04-Mar-13 11:30:33

Thanks sonnyd. Well last night was same with multiple feeds, like a new baby again. However, my hubby took the boys out yesterday and so I didn't feed baby once in the day, this will happen today again as I am working later. So, hopefully, he will learn that feeds are not happening in day, with a view to stop nights eventually x

sonnyd Sun 03-Mar-13 14:07:04

I could have written this post myself!
In exactly the same situation with my 16 month old DS and you have my full sympathy. it is exhausting and definitely hard for the whole family.
I'll watch this thread with interest as hopefully someone will be along to give you some decent advice but just wanted you to know you are not on your own. Hope you manage to get some rest today x

finleymummy Sun 03-Mar-13 12:13:19

My boy is 16 mths and feeds morning, afternoon, bedtime and during night. The last week he has been up feeding regularly and not settling back to sleep. I think it is the back teeth on their way, but I am at my wits end with no sleep and spending every day with headaches and I can't function. This is affecting my older son. I want to drop the night feeding and wish baby would let daddy settle him, but he screams for hours looking towards the door.

Please can anybody save my sanity? I have exclusively fed baby for so long, I need sleep now, it is time for me...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now