hair loss and breastfeeding

(9 Posts)
habhann Sun 03-Mar-13 10:06:07

Not sure if this the right forum for this question. My hair is falling out at a rapid rate. The shower is just full of my hair and plughole getting blocked. I am taking vitamins but is there anything else that will help with appearance of hair it looks frizzy all the time.. Tia

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 03-Mar-13 10:20:43

How old is your Lo? I lost hair but was told that you loose less hair when go so it just looks like you are loosing more in the first few weeks after Lo is born. If its frizzy are you taking a multivitamin and eating things like oily fish?

EauRouge Sun 03-Mar-13 10:53:21

I lost hair around 3-4 months I think. It was coming out in fistfuls. It's related to hormonal changes but happens whether you BF or FF. My hair looked shit and frizzy for a while but it's much better now. I changed shampoos and made sure I didn't just leave my hair to dry. Also I grew it longer so I could tie it back which helps on bad hair days.

Patchouli Sun 03-Mar-13 10:57:56

i don't know how old your baby is, but I've had the same.
They say it's the hair that would've fallen out anyway over the 9 mths, but being pregnant it doesn't - so it seems a lot when it all comes out after your pregnancy.
I read somewhere that it should stop by about the time your baby is 12mths - my DD is 9 mths now and it does seem to be stopping.

BabsAndTheRu Sun 03-Mar-13 11:05:09

Yeah, all really normal, happened with all three of mine and then grew back white. I have a fantastic hairdresser who sorts it all out for me.

leedy Sun 03-Mar-13 11:10:16

Yup, DS2 is 15 weeks now and I started seriously moulting around 12 weeks, was the same with DS1 - nothing to do with BF/FF, it's just all the hair you didn't shed during pregnancy falling out at once.

Loislane78 Sun 03-Mar-13 18:41:46

Same here, seemed like it was EVERYWHERE! Settled down again now smile

karatekimmi Sun 03-Mar-13 18:46:27

Yep I lost loads of hair when LO was about 3 months. I had to get a fringe cut last weekend as it is all growing back and I had a stupid little fluff fringe at the front! It does stop, but not realates to bf'ing

KaraStarbuckThrace Sun 03-Mar-13 18:51:47

Absolutely nothing to do with breastfeeding.
While you are pregnant, your natural hair loss is inhibited but this inhibition lifts after your baby is born. It seems like a lot because you have lost so little for months!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now