Milk drying up in left breast ?

(6 Posts)
Lonelybunny Sun 03-Mar-13 08:28:19

Hello I'm really looking for some advise or reassurance as I'm really worried about this. My daughter turned 7 months yesterday and has been EBF since birth and BLW since 5.5 months. She doesn't take in an awful lot of solids but she will pick at them and have a yoghurt after. All day yesterday she hardly had a feed of breast milk I put this down to us being out at a friends and being in a very interesting place to her . When we returned home I tried to feed straightaway this was at about 7.30 pm I always put her on the left breast first as this has always been my troublesome side however she couldn't seem to get letdown and was just sucking on it like a dummy - she didn't get frustrated but when I put her in the right side she got letdown . I fed during the night as usual but I still don't think the left side got let down , and this morning my left side feels a lot lighter and emptier then the right ? I've tried to pump this morning and got nowt out the left and 1/2 oz out the right side. But if I squeeze the nipple on the left I do get some milk spray out but not as enthusiastically at the right side.
Does this look like the milk is drying up on my left side? I find it hard to feed during the day as she just wants to play and after having the half term with her siblings around she also finds no interest in feeding as she wants to see what they are doing all the time. I don't have a great pump either as we can't afford one so I can't see how I can pump to improve it either.

domesticslattern Sun 03-Mar-13 08:41:55

Let me be the first to reassure you- don't panic! I would just feed more off the left breast today and tomorrow. One day is unlikely to cause such a big change and my personal experience is it can be hard to feel letdown as bf goes on. In any case, if over a long period of time, you end up feeding off just one breast that's not the end of the world either- I have been feeding DD2 off one breast only from 7 months to 13 months and still going strong... if not particularly recommended as a bit lop sided!

ValiumQueen Sun 03-Mar-13 08:47:07

I fed DD2 with one boob from 8 to 18 months. It is giving up again with DS at 4 months, but I am persevering as just too early. Once established on solids I will let it go off.

Halfcups Sun 03-Mar-13 08:49:07

This sounds familiar to me! My first child dds started to only want to feed from the right breast at about nine months no matter how much I encouraged him onto the left. Also feeds became less. With hind sight I saw that this was the beginning of his self weaning. It was very uncomfortable for me but my body did adjust. This went on for a further month before he stopped completely. Dc2 self weaned at 17mths suddenly whilst i was five months pregnant. Now I have the opposite problem where dc3 is 2 yrs 5 months and won't stop despite me wanting her too! Do you have a breast feeding support group you could go to? I found the NCT breastfeeding helpline really useful. Are you ok with stopping?

Lonelybunny Sun 03-Mar-13 09:28:07

Hello thank you all for your reassurance , I've just fed on the left first and got let down but not for very long but we did get it , she is feeding very well too which is unusual for this time in the morning . I do have a breast feeding group I can attend which I will try and get myself too . I'm not ready to stop yet I really want to make it to a year. I'm wondering if its antibiotics I have had the past two weeks , maybe that's affected it a little bit.

Lonelybunny Sun 03-Mar-13 21:32:42

Update : I'm now wondering if its that dd actually can drain the breasts quicker now ? As she appears to be cluster feeding a bit tonight will see what the night brings .....,

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now