Nearly 8 mo EBF how many feeds

(7 Posts)
sleeplessinderbyshire Sun 03-Mar-13 21:09:23

my DD2 is almost 8 months and loves her food. she has breastfeeds at wakeup, midmorning (v short feed, or 3oz ebm at nursery), midafternoon (longer breastfeed or 4-4.5oz at nursery) and bedtime. she almost always has one overnight feed too.

she seems to be growing and developing perfectly so I'm going with the flow (and of I try and give milk instead of solids when she wants solids she won't drink the milk anyway)

thisonehasalittlecar Sun 03-Mar-13 20:57:24

If you look at the feeding guide on a packet of formula (I know, I know!) between 6 and 7 months the recommended amount drops from 5 x 7 oz feeds, or 35 oz a day, to 3 x 7 oz feeds, or 21 oz a day. Obviously you have no way of knowing how much he's taking but it doesn't seem unreasonable that he'd be cutting down on number of feeds if he's taking less than 2/3 of the volume compared to 2 months ago.

RandomMess Sun 03-Mar-13 12:14:33

He may be taking in more fluids in one go when he feeds as long as he's healthy and happy I wouldn't worry. Some babies are milkolics others love solids - I've had 2 of each by 11 months one had given up milk altogether and another was down to 1 feed a day...

DS is 8 mo and also doing this. He has cut down to about 4/5 at night and 4/5 in day, sounds like more, but he was feeding every hour at night and about 7/8 times in day so from 20+ feeds down to 10. He still increases when teething or hurt/ill and is still moving up in weight so I am not worried.

Do you feel like it's affecting your milk or LOs growth? I think naturally they would cut down feeds when solids established as it's the start of weaning completely, but they also say food is just for fun until they are 1.

Do you offer bf as much as you used to or have you replaced offering with solids?

RandomMess Sat 02-Mar-13 22:05:33

good at self regulating

RandomMess Sat 02-Mar-13 22:04:28

My youngest was the same, they are so good and self regulating I wouldn't worry.

JezzaJ9 Sat 02-Mar-13 22:03:12

My DS2 is nearly 8mo old and has really taken to solids he has a mixture of finger food and yogurt/mashed food etc. He seems to be really cutting down on BF especially during the day as too much going on is this normal?

We are doing to about 2 feeds in the day an 2 at night should I cut down his solids in order to increase his BF again?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now